9 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2013 1:35 AM by Jardange
Jardange Level 1 Level 1

Hi

I have a white MacBook - late 2009 - so obviously well ancient. Recently the hard drive failed and was replaced - it cost me as it was about a week after the Apple Care Plan expired.

It was replaced by a bigger hard drive as that is all they use now but I am really really disappointed as it is noisy. The old one was a silent as the grave, this one makes a constant sound in the background. Having read all the threads on this I am beginning to think I will have to put up with it but frankly it is a bit like white noise torture. It is a low noise but it is always there and I am aware of it.

I have tried resetting the SMC (4 times) and PRAM. I have checked for apps running in the background (probably not as well as I should as I am no techie) and I still cannot stop it. I don't think it is the fan as I don't run a lot of programmes at once and it does not get at all hot.

Does anyone have any further ideas please or will I just have to put up with it until either I or the Mac dies?

If I do have to put up with it is there anyway of getting Apple to do anything about this as there are so many of us with the same problem?

I must say I love Apple products but am very disappointed with them about this.

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)
Reply by kostby on May 1, 2013 8:04 AM Helpful
Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We're all users here. It isn't directly Apple's fault. They don't manufacture the hard drives.Some hard drives are just noisier than others.In my limited experience with my own MacBook, the noisiest drive I've owned is a Seagate 7200rpm 500Gb. The quietest drive I've owned was manufactured by Hitachi, now HGST, a division of Western Digital. The original Fujitsu drive was somewhere in between.

All replies

• kostby Level 4 Level 4

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We're all users here.

It isn't directly Apple's fault. They don't manufacture the hard drives.

Some hard drives are just noisier than others.

In my limited experience with my own MacBook, the noisiest drive I've owned is a Seagate 7200rpm 500Gb.

The quietest drive I've owned was manufactured by Hitachi, now HGST, a division of Western Digital. The original Fujitsu drive was somewhere in between.

• Nick Baldwin Level 2 Level 2

You could consider a SSD. Completely silent, and much faster too.

• Jardange Level 1 Level 1

What is a SSD?

Solid State Drive, no moving parts so no sound.

Thank you ... sounds expensive. I guess I will just learn to live with the noise.

Many thanks for your input.

Angie

It still might be worth taking the MacBook back in to confirm for sure whether what you are hearing is from the fan or the hard drive, and if it is within expected limits.

• JoeyR Level 6 Level 6

I agree with Nick... you may want to take it in just to have it checked out.  Granted, some hard drives are more noisy than others, but I have yet to have a properly functioning hard drive which produced noise anything close to being distracting.

I don't know exactly what Apple may have done when they replaced your drive.  Did they copy all of your applications, etc. over to your new drive for you?  Did they put a more current version of OS X on it?  If they did anything other than a straight clone, there may be things going on now that are causing your fans to speed up which may not have been happening before they replaced the drive.  So while it may "seem" like the drive since you just had it replaced, it may be your fan.

Apple only replaced the hard drive - I had to retrieve all my 'stuff' from my Time Capsule. There is nothing different on it, Joey, to what I was using before.

The only difference is that this that the new hard drive is bigger as that is all they use now for replacements. I am presuming this is why it is making a 'just noticeable' noise.

I'm almost certain that it is not the fan as it is not as loud as the fan noise I am used to ... I have checked the CPU and there are no apps running in the background. The Mac also does not get hot, so ...

Many thanks for trying to help. 

Cheers, Nick ... if only it were that easy. It is a bit of a schlep to get there but next time I'm passing I might just do that.