Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

aperture 3 and photostream force quit

I have latest updates to aperture applied. I share a library with iphoto. If i try to enable photostream from preferences a spinning beachball starts and the application becomes unusable. I have to force quit. Restarting doesnt fix it. I have repaird and rebuilt the database. I also notice that while the application shows not responding their is also a photstream process running that is using up 100% of cpu? in the past i have tried delting preference files to no avail. Really need help here.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 2.8GHZ 16GB 2TB

Posted on May 1, 2013 7:14 AM

13 replies

May 1, 2013 7:28 AM in response to alangsam

Instead of Force-Quitting you might try this:

If Aperture is unresponsive, how to avoid force quitting?

When repairing, don't forget to use "Repair Permissions" as well.

Can you launch Aperture and enable Photo Stream, if you hold down the Shift-key when launching Aperture?

If yes, then your Photo Stream may contain an unreadable image file. In that case, try, if removing the Photo Stream folder from your User Library to the Desktop helps.

The Photo Streams are stored in

~/Library/Application Support/iLifeAssetManagement/assets/

Remove this folder from your user library, and log off and on again. Then try, if you now can enable the Photo Stream.

May 1, 2013 8:51 AM in response to léonie

When i hold down the shift key while launching aperture nothing happens differently than when i just launch aperture?

i moved out the assets folder (9,3GB!) and still when i launch aperture it works ok until i select Photostrem in preference. it then goes to the screen that says Photo stream has to be turned on. before i can select we get the beachball. I then have to force quit (nothing else works). i go to system preferences icloud and then uncheck photostream and i can start aperture and photostream works fine.

BTW - photostream works fine on my other ipads, iphones and mac's. it even works on iphoto on this machine!

May 1, 2013 10:35 AM in response to alangsam

I put them back but still need your awesome help in getting it to work in my current user account.

Working in a different user account was meant as a test - a basic trouble shooting measure- not as a fix, see: Isolating an issue by using another user account

Your result tells, that Aperture, your hardware, and your system are probably o.k., but some settings, startup items, Aperture plug-ins, preference panes used in your user account may be problematic.

I'd start with trouble shooting the preferences and presets, as described in

Aperture 3: Troubleshooting Basics

Remove the file "com.apple.Aperture.plist" from your user library to the Desktop, and if that does not help, remove the presets.

Remember to log off and on, before removing the preferences.

The user preferences are hidden by default; reveal them from the Finder's "Go" menu:

• Quit Aperture, if it is running:
  • Open the user library by using the Finder's "Go > Go to Folder" menu and hold down the options-key, until "Library" appears in the drop down menu. Select it In the widow that will open, scroll down to "Preferences"
  • From the "Preferences" folder remove "com.apple.Aperture.plist".
  • Then try to launch Aperture again.

May 1, 2013 6:42 PM in response to alangsam

Looking at the Photstream process that you mentioned in your first post it appears that it accesses a few different files/folders in your home Library folder.

I would try turning off Photostream for the account that is not working

(System Preferences->iCloud->Photostream) then moving

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.photostream-agent

and

~/Library/Application Support/iLifeAssetManagement

to the Desktop and then enabling Photstream and then try it in Aperture.

post back

regards

Oct 14, 2013 9:30 PM in response to alangsam

FINALLY!!! Wow. THANK YOU!

This actuall resolved a similar issue i was having that started about 2 or 3 weeks ago... Photo stream had been working fine for over a year, then out of nowhere iPhoto went unresponsive. I had narrowed it down to the photo stream by looking at the activity monitor and saw that photo stream was killing my CPU. Once I turned photo stream off in settings my iPhoto worked again. However, I still didn't have a fix for having Photo Stream turned on and a functional iPhoto.

This solution worked!

aperture 3 and photostream force quit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.