Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I REMOVE Gmail from my Mac Mail

Since I've had the new iMac (Mountain Lion 10.8.3) I have this annoying Gmail set of the same mail boxes as the 'normal' mail list. I've tried to remove/delete the whole lot, but it won't allow me to.

I don't want Gmail at all because here in the UK we have 'Virgin Media' which is probably the best ISP available. Apple support said it is not possible to remove from the Mac Mail window, but surely there must be a way to remove something I never installed myself and never wanted. I've seen that it's also to do with IMAP - which I do not want either.

Can anyone please tell me how to remove it completely? Here's a shot of the problem:-

User uploaded file

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 1, 2013 7:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2013 7:50 AM

Open Mail. Go to Preferences>Accounts, select the Gmail account (lefthand sidebar), then press the minus sign at the bottom of the sidebar.

23 replies

May 1, 2013 11:04 AM in response to makey

The area you put in yellow is a necessary component of using Virgin Media. You can't delete it, but you can hide the details.

Hover the cursor to the right of the string "NTLWORLD.COM". As you get near the right edge (under the "1" badge you show), the word "HIDE" should appear. Click on it.

The "[Gmail]" folder and subfolders indicate that NTLWORLD.COM is using code licensed from Google (and maybe even Google servers) to supply email services to Virgin Media customers.

May 2, 2013 3:00 AM in response to markwmsn

I don't see why Gmail is a necessary component of Virgin Media, who I've been with for many years. It seems to be just another Mountain Lion issue, because the Mail on my old iMac (Snow Leopard) has none of the Gmail lists and it still works the same - with Virgin Media! I've spoken at length with Virgin's help team and they confirmed that the problem is with Apple. See this screen shot from the old iMac Mail:-

User uploaded file

May 2, 2013 7:18 AM in response to makey

From the screen shots you have provided, I can only guess that your old Mac and your new Mac are accessing your Virgin Media mail in different ways. Clearly, the new one is using IMAP. Could the old one be using POP? That would explain the difference.

Anyway, if you are going to continue using ntlworld.com via IMAP to access your Virgin Media email, I suggest that you hide the details and try to forget they are there. Unfortunately, "All Mail" and "Spam" may tend to collect unread messages over time, so the gray "NTLWORLD.COM" line will carry a numeric badge; you may want to show (un-hide) the details and make the messages read if that bothers you.

May 2, 2013 7:22 AM in response to makey

makey wrote:

I don't see why Gmail is a necessary component of Virgin Media, who I've been with for many years. It seems to be just another Mountain Lion issue, because the Mail on my old iMac (Snow Leopard) has none of the Gmail lists and it still works the same - with Virgin Media! I've spoken at length with Virgin's help team and they confirmed that the problem is with Apple. See this screen shot from the old iMac Mail:-

So, VM are saying that somehow Mac Mail opened a GMail account in your name and then signed into it? Please explain how they think such a magical act could actually take place.

Virgin Media support appear to be living in fairyland.

Post the account settings in use by your accounts.

May 5, 2013 8:02 AM in response to markwmsn

markwmsn, you are quite right that the old iMac uses POP and the new one uses IMAP, as in the screen shots. I've tried manually re-setting the new one to be the same as the old one, but neither incoming or outgoing messages worked at all! What I'm unable to change is the Account Type from IMAP to POP (as shown in yellow) Surely this is a change caused by the difference SL and ML:-

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

May 5, 2013 8:17 AM in response to makey

makey wrote:

markwmsn, you are quite right that the old iMac uses POP and the new one uses IMAP, as in the screen shots. I've tried manually re-setting the new one to be the same as the old one, but neither incoming or outgoing messages worked at all! What I'm unable to change is the Account Type from IMAP to POP (as shown in yellow) Surely this is a change caused by the difference SL and ML:-

You will have to add the account (in ML) manually, go to Mail, Contacts and Calendars (in System Preferences) and choose 'Other' as the account type. Then enter whatever you like, POP or Imap etc.

May 5, 2013 8:29 AM in response to makey

How have you tried switching to POP3? You can't just change the server, you have to change the access method (the highlighted part). The only way I know to do that is to delete the IMAP account entirely and recreate it as a POP3 account.

The important way in which Mountain Lion differs from Snow Leopard in this situation is that Mountain Lion will choose to set up a new mail account as IMAP in strong preference to POP when both are possible. You can override this if you catch the addition at the right point.

However, I do not recommend switching back to POP3. IMAP is much more appropriate when accessing one server from two or more clients. It's not impossible to work out sharing over POP3 (many of us did it before IMAP became common), but IMAP is designed to accommodate it.

Even if you switch to using POP3 on Mountain Lion, those folders will still exist on the server. You have just hidden then from yourself. You can do much of that job more simply by the method I outlined earlier.

May 7, 2013 8:28 AM in response to makey

makey wrote:

When I click on 'Add Another Account' followed by Add a Mail account it simply adds the SAME account into the left hand panel in Mail Prefrences, but it still shows as 'Account Type: ntlworld.com IMAP.

This is from the Virgin Media website:

If you've got Virgin Broadband you can use Virgin Media Mail too. We use Google to provide our mail service, so getting to grips with it is a piece of cake.

Note where it says "We use Google to provide our mail service"

And these are the recomended settings, check yours.

Type of information

Settings to enter

Sending mail (SMTP)

SMTP server name

smtp.ntlworld.com

SMTP SSL

Enabled

SMTP port

SMTP authentication*

Enabled (or 'Password' on Macs)

SMTP username

Full e-mail address, e.g.,richard.branson@ntlworld.com

Receiving mail (POP3)

POP3 server name

pop3.ntlworld.com

POP3 SSL

Enabled

POP3 port

POP3 authentication

POP3 username

POP3 SPA (Secure Password Authentication)

Disabled

Receiving mail (IMAP4)

IMAP4 server name

imap.ntlworld.com

IMAP4 SSL

Enabled

IMAP4 port

IMAP4 authentication

IMAP4 username

IMAP4 SPA (Secure Password Authentication)

Disabled

Imap or POP3 are supported, your choice (of course if you use POP sync will be unavailable)

How can I REMOVE Gmail from my Mac Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.