Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone know what this is? "This site is blocked because it is haram.� You must not visit this web site. Baba"

I am getting the above message on many of the websites that I use, including YouTube, Soundcloud and others.

It seems like a virus. I can't access the sites at all - not using Google Chrome or Safari. Anyone know what this isand how to get rid of it?

Thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on May 1, 2013 11:16 AM

10 replies

May 1, 2013 12:18 PM in response to Tremolo Arm

Somebody has configured your computer, or your router (and possibly both), to use OpenDNS and configured OpenDNS to block access to a number of sites (or more likely categories of sites), using OpenDNS' parental controls.

How old are you? Perhaps your Baba doesn't want you stumbling across pr0n...

First thing I'd do is check your computers DNS settings under network preferences. Then I'd check the router. Assuming of course that you have the administrative authority (ie, the password) necessary to do that. If you are underage...well, I'm not going to give you advice on dealing with your Baba.

May 1, 2013 12:38 PM in response to g_wolfman

Thank you. I am 40 years old, so hardly underage. The Mac is mine (and therefore I have admin authority) and i have not tweaked any settings at all. Frankly, I do not even know how to do that. I have no clue who Baba is. As I said, this message appears on many websites, some of which I use for guitar practice, such as www.ultimate-guitar.com and my Soundcloud where I store my music.

When you say "check DNS and check router", what exactly do I need to be checking?

Thanks

May 1, 2013 12:43 PM in response to Tremolo Arm

Using the "Network" preference pane in "System Preferecnes", choose your connection type (ie, Wi-Fi, Ethernet) and then click the "Advanced" button. One of the tabs in the drop-down pane that appears is labelled "DNS". Choose it to see the DNS settings in use by your computer.

If the address of the DNS server(s) listed are of the form 208.67.222.222 or 208.67.220.220 then you are using OpenDNS. If using the DNS provided by your router, then it will be of the form 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.1.1, or similar.

Checking your router's setting depends on the router model.

Note that the way OpenDNS parental controls work, someone has to have an account with OpenDNS (not just be using their public DNS servers), and that account is associated with a specific IP Address. For you to be getting that message means that you have a) made a DNS request for a site using OpenDNS and b) you have made it from an IP Address that is associated with an OpenDNS account with parental controls turned on. That's the sort of thing which is highly unlikely to happen by accident (but not impossible)...how do you access the Internet?

May 1, 2013 1:08 PM in response to g_wolfman

Thanks again

Right, I have checked DNS and both those numbers are listed there already.

As for the rest of your message, I don't really understand its meaning I am afraid. I am the sole user of the Mac. Only me and my 6 year old daughter live in the house so it's unlikely she would would have done anything... No one else could have had access to the Mac What I find peculiar is the actual message, with the Arabic word in there and the signature Baba. I don't speak Arabic and know noone who does. The whole thing makes no sense to me whatsoever.

I access the Internet via Google Chrome which is situated on the dock as my default browser. I also tried with Safari and got the same message. The message only appears on Half of the websites I try to access. It's happening with YouTube, Soundcloud and Ultimate-Guitar. I can get Yahoo, BBC, Google and so on without problem.

The Mac is connected to my router via Wireless and the router is a BT Hub 3 (I live in the Uk).

What do you suggest I should do?

Anyone know what this is? "This site is blocked because it is haram.� You must not visit this web site. Baba"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.