Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does anyone know why a rented movie on Apple TV doesn't have any audio?

Hello,

Has anyone had a similar problem. I just rented a documentary, however there's no audio on the movie, although there is audio on the preview. What is the cause of that and what can be done?

AppleTV 2, Movie rented doesn't have any audio

Posted on May 1, 2013 6:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2013 6:33 AM

Hey gregstew,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. I looked into your issues when no audio is playing while watching your rented movie. From what I found is that potentially the automatic sound selection may be switching to the Dolby Digital output and you may not have the setup at home. There is a resolution though.

Apple TV (2nd generation): Static or no sound from your TV when playing Apple TV content

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3518

Regards,

-Norm G.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2013 6:33 AM in response to gregstew

Hey gregstew,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. I looked into your issues when no audio is playing while watching your rented movie. From what I found is that potentially the automatic sound selection may be switching to the Dolby Digital output and you may not have the setup at home. There is a resolution though.

Apple TV (2nd generation): Static or no sound from your TV when playing Apple TV content

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3518

Regards,

-Norm G.

May 4, 2013 7:46 AM in response to Alley_Cat

Thanks for chimining in. The explanation given makes total sense, as I had a bose audio/video receiver connected with used Dolby (of course for the awesome movie experience). However it went for repairs so I reverted to using the audio from the TV speakers.

Apple was gracious to refund my rental cost, so I'l actually rent the movie again and give it a run.

I'll confirm back here.

Does anyone know why a rented movie on Apple TV doesn't have any audio?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.