Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I copy a picture into a new folder from iPhoto?

I have always been able to copy pictures from iPhoto and then copy them to my desktop or into new folders as I pleased. Suddenly, while trying to simply copy from iPhoto and then paste them into a new folder, the pictures do not appear. I've tried exporting them as well but for some reason, a select few pictures just don't appear. I can see them in iPhoto and I can even locate the original file with the Reveal in Finder option but I still can't copy into a new folder. I'm a bit perplexed. Any help you guys can offer will be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 13 inch, i5, early 2011

Posted on May 1, 2013 4:34 PM

10 replies

May 1, 2013 5:34 PM in response to Bizzyleo

Not sure what you want to do - in iPhoto folders do not hold photos - they hold other folders or albums

Are you speaking of events? If so flag the photos and go to the destination event and add flagged photos to selected event

Are you talking about finder folders? If so export (file menu ==> export) the photos to the desired folder

If something else that I did not guess please describe more clearly what you want to accomplish

LN

May 1, 2013 5:44 PM in response to LarryHN

When I am in an event in iPhoto, typically I can just copy photos from here, and then create another folder on my desktop and paste them in there. But I don't know why some of these photos I copy from the iPhoto interface will not paste in a folder elsewhere (outside of iPhoto). iPhoto will still show me the pictures but when I copy and paste, it won't show in the folder I pasted. So it's something between iPhoto and Finder folders. Does that clear things up?

May 4, 2013 11:26 PM in response to LarryHN

some of my photos in an event, I'll right click and hit copy.... and I don't have a paste option??? greyed out in photo and doesn't show up at all on desktop.

i.e. if I wanted to paste into a different event in iphoto. or if I just want to paste to my desk top to say upload to a site (and I don't care about meta data). From what I can tell, seems most are taken with an iphoto that don't allow this copy/paste option. Any ideas?

Thanks.

May 4, 2013 11:39 PM in response to Tigervision

If you want to export from iPhoto use drag and drop or the file -> export command. This User Tip

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4921

has details of the options in the Export dialogue.

if I wanted to paste into a different event in iphoto.

You can't do this.

When you duplicate a photo you're creating a version (or virtual copy) of the photo. Both the first and the virtual versions point back to the same Master. The Master lives in the Event.

You can have different versions in Albums, as these too are virtual. A shot can be in any number of Albums and use no extra disk space. Having a shot in two Events uses double the disk space.

If you're determined to have a shot in multiple events then export the shot (file -> export) and then import the exported version back into iPhoto.

At heart, Events are organisation for those who can't really be bothered. They are automatic - based entirely on Date and Time the camera records the photos as taken. You can move photos between Events, you can Merge Events, you can Rename them and sort them in various ways.

Now it's time to look at albums which are much more flexible than Events as an organising tool.

May 4, 2013 11:59 PM in response to Yer_Man

Much appreciated, as usual, TD.

Yeah, my bad on copying from Event to Event. I really sometimes just copy pics to desktop to upload to Costco. So I don't care about meta data on those, after upload I trash them. So that is why I don't export them either (takes a few seconds longer and more steps).

But here is the thing.

See two screen shots. One has paste option, one does not. I don't get it?

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Any ideas?

I didn't know about the drag and drop from iphoto, so thanks for that tip.

May 5, 2013 12:13 AM in response to Tigervision

I really sometimes just copy pics to desktop to upload to Costco.

Why do that? For help accessing your photos in iPhoto see this user tip:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4491

The first one allows you to upload without bringing the file to the desktop.

The problem with copy and paste in iPhoto is this: When you copy and paste some text it's clear what you're doing. Take that paragraph, copy it, and put it here. Same with a file. However with iPhoto, it's not clear what you're copying. Why? Well when you select a thumbnail in the iPhoto Window what is it you're grabbing? The thumbnail? The version of the file it represents? or the Original of the file it represents? That's the complicating factor - whatt you see in the iPhoto Window is not what you're actually trying to copy, and so you get variable results.

Regards

TD

May 5, 2013 12:33 AM in response to Yer_Man

ahhh... your point of what is actually being copied is a good one. And since drag and drop works, I guess I am good.

I looked at your link... unfortunately, Costco's horrible website wont' allow more than one pic to be copied at a time from iphoto by drag and drop.

I don't see your open/attach/browse dialog window? I went to finder, file, open and nothing happened. clicking file in iphoto doesn't have an open option.

thanks.

Why can't I copy a picture into a new folder from iPhoto?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.