Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to move images to external drive

I am trying to move all of my photos off of my Macbook and onto my external hard drive. I have noticed If i move images over to the external drive and them move the images to the trash on the macbook, it removes them from the external drive as well. I am not sure why it does that but my question is- If i disconnect the external drive after loading all of the pictures on, and then delete the photos on the macbook- will they stay on the hard drive since its no longer connected?

Operating system is Mac OS X 10.6.8 and external drive is 80gb Hitachi

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 1, 2013 8:29 PM

3 replies

May 1, 2013 8:57 PM in response to KJAra04

When you copy files to an external drive, you should see a + in a green circle bellow the curser icon. A new window will come up, and you will see the progress of the copy.

Once the files are on the external drive, check to see their size. Is it the same as the original. Try opening a file, does it open.

If the file has a curved arrow on the bottom left corner, it has an alias or shortcut to the original file, not a copy. Only a pointer to the file. If you then delete the original, it will be gone. The pointer will point to nothing, which sounds like what may be happening.

May 1, 2013 9:06 PM in response to Rick Warren

Thank you for your reply Rick- I do see the green + when I was dragging them over to the external drive and I do see them all in the external drive. I can open them and it pulls up the photo in 'preview'. I do not see a curved arrow anywhere.. would it be on the bottom left corner of each photo or when I open to preview it?

I did pull up one photo on the external drive and the same photo on the computer and they each are 1.5mb in size.

May 8, 2013 9:38 PM in response to KJAra04

The arrow would be on the icon, if it was an alias. If you got the green +, and they are the same size, they should have coppied over. I just like to double check, before I delete the originals. Maybe test the drive on another computer, just to make sure, since you had issues before.

I always say, the more important the file, the more places I want it backed up.

how to move images to external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.