Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to Print on HP 2570 Connected to Asus RT-N66U

I am in the process of setting up my Imac (new to mac) to print. I have the Imac connected via ethernet cable to an ASUS RT-N66U. I have an HP 2570 connected to the ASUS via USB. When I follow the instrux on the ASUS site, I get all the way to clicking add the printer, I get an error message "Unable to verify the printer on your network." "Unable to connect to ‘192.168.1.1’ due to an error. Would you still like to create the printer?" Not sure what I am doing wrong, I am hoping someone here has had a similar experience.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 1, 2013 7:24 PM

17 replies

May 2, 2013 1:00 PM in response to Argonese

Hi,

The ASUS RT-N66U as a print server support specific models only, as you may find listed for the specific router / print server, only 3 HP models are listed by Asus as supported, as well it does not seems to support Mac OS X:

http://event.asus.com/2009/networks/printersupport/rt_n66u.htm

As your printer support Ethernet connection, try connecting it to your router via Ethernet and check if that work (I could not find much Mac information within its user guide so that depands if the router support a Mac OS envoirnment)

Shlomi

May 3, 2013 4:05 AM in response to Argonese

Well. I did not stated that Asus does not support Mac envoirnment, only that the manufecturer's information does not list a such.

Regarding the 2570 compatibility, It's Asus which does not list the printer compatible with the print server and not me.. the list above is taken from Asus web site, as listed on the user guide of the RT-N66U.

I would suggest contacting Asus support for any assistant, it is a 3rd party hardware which offer this capability and they should know better what they products capable of doing..

Shlomi

Jun 26, 2013 11:25 AM in response to Argonese

Well "nice" to see I'm not alone. I am having the same problem with my Mac Pro and my ASUS RT N66U router and Brother Laser printer (HL 2070N). Router sees the printer in USB slot. Identifies it as Brother printer and I can see the printer in my printer to choose from box. If I select the Brother, the print jobs goes off to print but when I go to Print Q the print job is there but error message says printer not on line.

If I put USB directly into USB slot on Mac Pro works like butter.

Any help from ASUS? I tried playing around with Ethernet connection but haven't had any luck so far.

Jul 29, 2013 10:56 AM in response to branth

I had similar issue with HP Laserjet 2015d. Went back over the Asus instructions for setting up a printer and saw that I neglected to add a setting. System Preferences>Print & Fax>+ to add printer>Protocol: Line Printer Daemon - LPD, Address: enter your router's IP AND THIS IS WHAT I NMEGLECTED TO CHEK THE FIRST TIME Queue:LPRServer.

Make sure LPRSERVER is selected. Once I reinstalled using these instructions per the Asus website, my printer works fine with my router.

I am running MacBook Pro

Jul 29, 2013 12:35 PM in response to AdeleMc

Still doesn't work for me. Now I get printer busy. Busy doing what I have no idea!!

But direct USB connection works so I'll live with it. I'm using a Mac Pro Desktop and have extra USB slots added so no problem. Plus I'm using handyPrint app so I can print from my iPad. So as everytihng is working well I'll just leave it as is. But thanks for the suggestion. Looked hopeful until I kept getting printer busy response.

Jan 5, 2014 6:51 AM in response to Argonese

Similar set up. I got it to work. Make sure you put 192.168.1.1 in *both* the "Address" field and the "Queue", using LPD protocol. See this discussion. It works fine but is not as nice as an AirPort which uses Bonjour to broadcast the availibility of the printer, good for when you have guests who drop by and want to print. With this setup you have to wrangle a bit to get a Mac to print.

Unable to Print on HP 2570 Connected to Asus RT-N66U

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.