Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplane Mode...Will GPS work???

I am traveling overseas. If I leave the phone in airplane mode and have a WiFi connection, will the GPS work for mapping purposes and other apps?

iPhone 5

Posted on May 1, 2013 8:04 PM

49 replies

Apr 7, 2017 12:15 PM in response to rondl

GPS can happily track your progress, regardless of being in flight mode. In it's basic form, it's a passive service, so does not interfere with a plane`s electronics, nor does it require. So you can be flying over a country and it will record a photo you take as being 'in' a particular village you are just flying over. Of course you can also use GPS-A, which needs Wifi to assist the satellite signal.

Oct 18, 2017 12:46 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Sorry about that above mistake...!

I have read so many different answers relating to this. Could someone please educate me. I simply need to cross time zones on a plane but I need to know what the exact time is at any given point, If the airline tell me to switch airplane mode on, will the new Apple Watch, via GPS, give this information to me?

Thanks for the help if you can.

Oct 18, 2017 12:49 PM in response to tomo3324

tomo3324 wrote:

Sorry about that above mistake...!

I have read so many different answers relating to this. Could someone please educate me. I simply need to cross time zones on a plane but I need to know what the exact time is at any given point, If the airline tell me to switch airplane mode on, will the new Apple Watch, via GPS, give this information to me?

Thanks for the help if you can.

No worries! Just trying to figure out what you meant.

I can't answer for the Apple Watch. I suggest you re-post in the Apple Watch forums for that.

For the phone, putting the phone in Airplane mode should not affect the GPS. However, to the best of my understanding, the automatic update in the time settings requires a cellular connection. Being connected to the phone's WiFi may be enough.

Dec 17, 2013 2:00 AM in response to paulcb

Airplane mode will prevent you from using GPS and cell tower location, since both the GPS chip and the cellular radio are deactivated. As Jason pointed out, if you turn on wifi while on airplane mode, the phone may use wifi point locations.

While abroad, you should turn off data roaming (I also turn off cell data altogether to be extra sure). That way you will be able to use GPS location and cell tower location.

Keep in mind that the Maps app needs a data connection to download the maps, otherwise you will get a position but the map view will be blank. To prevent this, you should browse the area you are visiting while you have your hotel wifi connection. That way the map data will be cached in your device (cell position data required for cell location will be cached as well)

An alternative is using an app that allows to download maps for offline use. Mapswithme is a good option

Hope this helps and have a nice trip

paulcb wrote:

Airplane Mode turns off the GPS radio so you were able to use Maps based upon known cell tower and/or wifi router locations. It does this pretty well, as you can see.

Airplane Mode...Will GPS work???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.