Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder-All My Files- Previous '_' days.. how Do I erase the usage history? without deleting the actual file?

How do you delete the Finder history in All My Files?

I have 35,000 plus in the Previous 30 days category

I'd like to clear all these out without 'trashing' them

I HAVE gone to Go, Recent Folders and Clear AND the Apple icon

Recent items and Clear, and I still have every thumbnail of every photo

ever opened in my All My Files history..... (thousands)

Posted on May 1, 2013 11:18 PM

10 replies

May 2, 2013 3:42 AM in response to pilotguy13

I can't drag anything anywhere..

So:

Finder

All My Files

Then I have the view as thumbnails (far left selection)

I see rows titled Previous 7 days

Previous 30 days

Earlier and No date

There are 29,826 in the "earlier" row

I'm not able to get this page reset to empty, or nothing, or clear it.

The only "drag" it would let me do with one of the thumbnails, is up to the toolbar, and now I have 2 photos stuck in the toolbar that I can't move or remove.. It goes circle/hashmark "no" when I try drag anything out of the sidebar.

Tried the steps in my first question post

May 2, 2013 4:01 AM in response to pilotguy13

Not sure who the person is you are worried about turning all my files back on but if you don't have a password set on your account anyone walking by your mac can view all your files anyway whether all my files is turned on or off. Without a account password everything is wide open to anyone that has physical access to your system.

And there are ways to defeat a password also if someone has physical access to the system.

I'm not worried about anybody viewing my files. I just don't care for them all to be displayed in that way. I know where my files are, what folder or sub-folder, so I don't see a point in having them all displayed like that.

pilotguy13 wrote:

I follow the turn it off.... but a person could just go and turn it back on, and have all those files there.. From a privacy standpoint, How does a person REMOVE them? I'm getting the feeling this can't be done?

Feb 22, 2014 9:37 AM in response to pilotguy13

I also had the same issue, but I just discovered that you can set the finder to show, for example, 'Desktop' content by default. There are a few options on the dropdown list you will find there, but I figure you may want to go with the folder that shows fewer or no items at all (since you hate to see that endless list of files). Wanna try? Follow the following path:

Finder > Preferences > General > "New Finder windows show:"

Then choose the folder of your preference; close Finder to refresh; reopen Finder and the long list will be gone. For good! 🙂 Notice though that, in doing this, you won't be deleting any files from Finder but rather putting them out of sight when you run Finder. So, in case you really need to pull up a file based on history, they will be just a click away on the top of the Finder's FAVORITES menu. It's working for me, and I hope it will work for you, too.

Finder-All My Files- Previous '_' days.. how Do I erase the usage history? without deleting the actual file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.