Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to login after enabling mobile account

Hi

I have recently created an OSX Server and have it integrated with Active Directory to enable networks accounts to login to Apple computers.

This in itself works fine, but I wish to allow network users to login to their laptops "offline".

As I understand it, to do this you need to enable it as a "mobile account". When doing this, it prompts you to click OK to log off, asks for the account password to create it as mobile account then returns you to the normal login (we a using "Username and Password" not "List of Users").

When I enter Domain\username along with the password, there is no red dot indicating the connection to the network is down. But when I try to login the password box "wobbles" as if I have got it wrong.

Every time this happens, I login as a local Admin, can remove the network account from being a mobile account and login again fine but of course not being able to login like this offline.

Has anyone come across this?

Thanks

Posted on May 2, 2013 7:02 AM

4 replies

May 4, 2013 6:42 AM in response to Ken Clarke

Before PHD syncing can work, the user must have a valid network home folder. Your post above doesn't say whether that is the case. My experience w/ 10.6 server is that creating a user record in workgroup manager is not enough. If all you've done is create a user record in workgroup manager, the user will try to login on the workstation, but will get the "head shake" at the login screen and not succeed. You must first (on the server) specify a network home directory, and click the button to create that home directory (all done in workgroup manager in 10.6 server). Once the network home directory is created, then the user can login at the client workstation. After that, you can go thru the process (at the client machine) of changing the account to a PHD account.

If you already have users with local accounts on their laptops that want to use PHD syncing, it's more involved. You must create a network home for them on the server, in workgroup manager specify the location of their network home. Then move all their local files to their new server home folder (don't user finder copy for this, use rsync). On the server, chown all their files to be owned by the server userID that belongs to them. Verify their files arrived corectly on the server by having them login from another client using their server credentials, and verifying that their stuff is all there correctly when connecting as a network home user. Then destroy their local account on the laptop, including deleting the userID from system preferences. Then have them login to the server as a network home user from the laptop they are going to own. Then on the client, go thru the creation of their PHD replica. This process is complicated, because if they were a local user, their userID us probably #501, 502, 503, etc. On the server, their UserID is likely #1001, 1002, etc. Under the hood, it's the UserID number that needs to be consistent across the network.

May 8, 2013 7:47 AM in response to cpragman

Hi cpragman,

The network home folders DO already exist on the network.

I am logging on to a MBP with a MS Active Directory user fine. The user does have a network home folder already created and can access it fine.

It is only after enabling that user as a "mobile" user on the device that they get the wobble password box at login.

Does that help explain things more?

Jun 14, 2013 9:31 AM in response to cpragman

Hi cpragman,

The network home folders DO already exist on the network.

I am logging on to a MBP with a MS Active Directory user fine. The user does have a network home folder already created and can access it fine.

It is only after enabling that user as a "mobile" user on the device that they get the wobble password box at login.

Does that help explain things more?

Unable to login after enabling mobile account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.