Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cursor randomly jumping on Mac Pro

I thought I was doing a search, but I guess I'm asking the question. I had a wireless mouse on my MacPro, but the cursor would run wherever it wanted to while I am trying to WORK! So I switched to a hardwired mouse, but it is still doing the same thing. Cursor will be in one place and then it runs off and I have to go try to find it. It was worse when using Adobe InDesign, but now it's happening all the time in any program.

I remember once, years ago, my computer would start inserting random gibberish in my copy and it turned out that some disgruntled employee had embedd a code into the keyboards to initiate this after a certain time. Apple sent me a new keyboard and the problem disappeared. Now 20 years later, different Mac, but this inability to control the cursor is making it extremely annoying to try and get work done!!!! I am wondering if this flying cursor might be in the same category?

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 2, 2013 10:39 AM

9 replies

May 2, 2013 11:25 AM in response to kaz-k

The Mac uses an "All devices active" philosophy with pointing devices (and keyboards).

Just because you are not using your regular mouse, it is not "turned off" when you start up the tablet, and vice-versa. Readers have reported some problems that turned out to be "oh, that other pointing device was still active" and was providing [spurious] input upside down, shoved to the side.

-------

RE: Your consiracy theory (about someone is planting devices in your Mac to cause these symptoms).

Unless you have additional evidence to support this idea, I suggest you forgetaboutit.

May 2, 2013 11:38 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Again, not a tablet. Original wireless mouse WAS the problem and I disabled it when I switched to a wired mouse.

And the "conspiracy theory" - thanks for that. It actually DID happen back in the 90s, I was told of the disgruntled employee BY Apple and they replaced the keyboard to the Mac I had at that time; replaced mine and many other Mac users' keyboards.

I'm not a wingnut. Just a graphics person trying to do my work on a MacPro, but the cursor is flying all over the screen.

Cursor randomly jumping on Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.