Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iSight camera not found by iMovie 8

A few days after I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion OS-X on my MacBook Pro, I am unable to use my iSight camera in iMovie 08. When I try to access the built-in camera to shoot video directly from my laptop, iMovie says "No Camera Detected." I have the latest version of Mountain Lion (10.8.3), so that's not the issue. Can anyone help? And no other app, by the way, is using my camera currently. I checked that too. Yes, if I go to FaceTime or Photobooth, the camera is recognized there. It's just not recognized in iMovie 08 all of a sudden. Will I be forced to upgrade to a newer iMovie or iLife? If so, that stinks!!

Carrie

Posted on May 2, 2013 10:52 AM

1 reply

May 2, 2013 1:20 PM in response to carrieryman

carrieryman wrote: ... iMovie... "No Camera ... FaceTime or Photobooth ... camera is recognized ...

(1) Try relevant suggestions from http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1059

(2) If nothing there helps you resolve your trouble, reset your iMovie preferences.

If you don't already know how to reset prefs, here is the method I use:

Quit iMovie

Click on the desktop to see Finder in your display's menu bar.

Hold down the <option> key while using Finder > Go > Library menu command.

Double-click on the Preferences folder there to open it.

Delete (move to trash) the com.apple.iMovieApp.plist or com.apple.iMovie.plist file.

Close all folders and launch iMovie to recreate iMovie's default preference set.

carrieryman wrote: ... Will I be forced to upgrade to a newer iMovie or iLife? If so, that stinks!!

No. Relax! No need to hold your nose.

If your problem remains after you have considered all relevant items above, the most you may need to do is reinstall iMovie. Then launch the reinstalled iMovie and use its

iMovie > Check for Software Updates... menu command. Update if a newer version is available. Finally, test to see if your webcam works properly

If all else fails, contact Apple Support or an Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.8.3

iSight camera not found by iMovie 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.