Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

pc outlook and main.cf

Hi. I have followed Apple's instructions and removed the reject_non_fqdn_helo_hostname

However, something happened and the file reverted back to it's default state on me.

Is there a procedure to have it keep the change, so I do not have to worry about this happening

in the future? Thanks very much.

Posted on May 2, 2013 12:07 PM

1 reply

May 2, 2013 4:22 PM in response to John McElhaney - PROMac

I presume you are following these Mac OS X Server: Microsoft Outlook clients may not be able to send mail (TS3023) instructions.

Unfortunately, anything (such as chgflags) that might make the configuration file immutable risks causing other weird problems in some subsequent OS X Server update or Server.app changes that expects to alter the configuration file.

I usually use the following variant, rather than editing the file directly:

sudo postconf -e 'smtpd_helo_restrictions = reject_invalid_helo_hostname'

sudo postfix reload

You could conceivably add the postconf command into the system startup. (Though I'd consider grep'ing the results of postconf -h smtpd_helo_restrictions and flagging the change, rather than automatically making the change automatically.)

pc outlook and main.cf

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.