Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macintosh se fdhd with red flashing light

I have a macintosh SE FDHD, and system 7.1 floppys.

My model has only one floppy drive under the screen. When I boot the mac and insert the floppy with system 7.1 on it in the macintosh, it gives de disk back, and the LED from the other drive starts flashing red. I assume something is wrong with the drive, but I'm nor sure.

It's hard to find a good solution on google for this, so maybe anybody in here knows what this means and how to solve it?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you in advance

Macintosh SE FDHD-OTHER, Mac OS 8.6 or Earlier

Posted on May 2, 2013 12:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2013 8:34 AM

Hi,

First of all, would it be correct to assume that the computer does not boot correctly (startup sound, Happy Mac, Welcome to Macintosh, Desktop) from the internal hard drive (which I suppose is the drive with the flashing red LED)? Any messages/icons on the screen (blinking floppy icon, et cetera)? Any sounds?

Any icon on the screen when the computer rejects the System 7.1 floppy? Is it the first install disk or the tools disk?

At this point it is difficult to say whether the floppy drive is faulty, or if the floppy disk is bad, or if something else is going on. Please post back with more information.

Jan

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2013 8:34 AM in response to joris416

Hi,

First of all, would it be correct to assume that the computer does not boot correctly (startup sound, Happy Mac, Welcome to Macintosh, Desktop) from the internal hard drive (which I suppose is the drive with the flashing red LED)? Any messages/icons on the screen (blinking floppy icon, et cetera)? Any sounds?

Any icon on the screen when the computer rejects the System 7.1 floppy? Is it the first install disk or the tools disk?

At this point it is difficult to say whether the floppy drive is faulty, or if the floppy disk is bad, or if something else is going on. Please post back with more information.

Jan

May 4, 2013 11:11 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Correct, The macintosh does not boot correctly from the internal hard drive. When I try to boot it, is shows a floppy, and when I put a floppy in it, it rejects the floppy almost immediately. The floppy (with question mark) remains on the screen, wich means the macintosh wants a floppy to startup. I assume nothing is wrong with the floppy, because i just bought them.

Hope this helps

May 5, 2013 7:32 AM in response to joris416

Since an SE FDHD is equipped with a floppy drive for both 800K and 1.4 MB, a System 7.1 disk (which is 1.4 MB) should be OK per se. The normal SE can only handle 800K.

Was this an original set of System 7.1 floppies (this system version is not downloadable, but 7.0.1 is)? If so, the floppies are approximately twenty years old. Much can go wrong during that time, so do not automatically expect the disks to be fine. Does the same thing happen when trying to start from both the first install disk and the tools disk?

Do you have access to another older Macintosh computer (with a floppy drive) where you could create a bootable floppy from a download? It could of course be something wrong with the floppy drive, but it might be a good idea to at least try another startup floppy.

Jan

May 6, 2013 2:11 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

No, this is not an original set of system 7.1 floppies. I bought them on ebay

(http://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-Macintosh-Operating-System-7-1-on-3-5-1-44-HD-di sks-vintage-Apple-OS-/230891954859?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item3 5c23ba2ab),

because my macbook pro retina has no floppy drive and does not seem to be able to make system 7.1 floppies. Unfortunately, my macbook is the only mac that I have access to.

May 6, 2013 1:49 PM in response to joris416

If you have access to a Windows PC with a built-in floppy drive, it is possible to create bootable Mac disks from certain (Disk Copy 4.2 style) disk images via a special technique. One suitable download may be the Network_Access_Disk_7.5.sea.bin:

http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English -North_American/Macintosh/Utilities/

Alternatively, the British English System 7.0.1 set of floppies (except the System 7 Tune-Up) can be created in a similar manner. The Disk_Tools.image.sea.bin download could be tested first:

http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English -British/Macintosh/System/System_7.0.1/

The special procedure requires the use of an appropriate version of Aladdin/StuffIt Expander for Windows in order to decode the .bin (MacBinary) and decompress an intermediate file to begin with. The stuffit-expander-10-windows.uu from the site below could possibly be OK for this (see the abstracts text file for details; the uuencode must be decoded before the freeware utility can be installed on a PC):

http://ftp.funet.fi/pub/mac/info-mac/_Compress_&_Translate/

Once a Disk Copy 4.2 style Macintosh disk image exists on the PC, a utility such as the shareware program WinImage could be used to write the image to a 1.44 MB floppy disk.

Jan

May 6, 2013 1:51 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

You are clearly assuming the floppies are bad. I'm actually curious what the red flashing led means when I turn the macintosh on. I never saw a mac of this kind with a red flashing led before, so i would like to now what it means, what kind of problem it indicates, and how I can solve this.

Put it shortly: does anyone know what this red flashing led above the floppy drive on my macintosh SE FDHD means, what of problem it indicates and how i can solve it?

May 6, 2013 2:31 PM in response to JustSomeGuy

Hi JustSomeGuy,

Yes, stiction could be one possibility. However, I do not know, but I would have thought that the SE FDHD ought to start up from a good floppy anyway.

One can also try to hold down the four keys Command(Apple) + Option(Alt) + Shift + Delete(Backspace) while testing a floppy startup.

The floppy drive itself may be damaged or out of alignment. Another remote possibility would be that this computer really is a normal SE with an 800K floppy drive, with merely an FDHD badge (these things happen when people try to rebuild computers). System 7.1 (1.4 MB) floppies would not work in an original SE with an 800K drive. There were FDHD upgrade sets for the original SE.

Jan

May 6, 2013 2:28 PM in response to JustSomeGuy

Sticktion!? I never heard of that before, but that is pretty likely to be the problem. I bought this old lady out of someones garage for 30 euros, and the guy told me it had been there for a very long time. I'll perform some surgery on the macintosh in order to find out if that's the problem ASAP, i'll let you know! Thank you very much

Macintosh se fdhd with red flashing light

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.