Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set up internet connection between MacBook Pro and an old eMac?

I got an old eMac without wifi and a MacBook Pro. I'd like to share the network connection via ethernet cable to my eMac, but I can't get it work.

I'd like to use it with screenrecycler and it needs a network connection.

How to do it? How to set up the connection between the client and the host? Could somebedy give me a step by step guide?

Thank you very much 🙂

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 2, 2013 3:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2013 5:23 PM

Hello,

First, are you using Wifi for Internet on the MBP?

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list, Wifi on the MBP.

In Shating on both, enable File Sharing, Screen Sharing, & Web Sharing on both.

Then with the Ethernet cable between the two, find the IPs of both, or use Finder>Go>Connect to Server>Browse... see what shows up.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2013 5:23 PM in response to therjth

Hello,

First, are you using Wifi for Internet on the MBP?

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list, Wifi on the MBP.

In Shating on both, enable File Sharing, Screen Sharing, & Web Sharing on both.

Then with the Ethernet cable between the two, find the IPs of both, or use Finder>Go>Connect to Server>Browse... see what shows up.

How to set up internet connection between MacBook Pro and an old eMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.