Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What would make my iMac start to smoke?

While working on,my computer tonight it shut down. t had been working fine but just simply lost power. When I turned it on, it was smoking! I turned it off immediately but there was quite a lot of smoke...scared me to death. What would cause that to happen? How long before I can turn it back on? Is there permanent damage to the computer? t did not feel not at all which it sometimes does.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6), iMac Intel

Posted on May 2, 2013 9:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2013 9:44 PM

Something seriously overheated!

At this point, leave the iMac off and unplug everything even unplug from power.

When was the last time any of the venting and exhaust ports got cleaned out/vacuumed out?

I think it's too late to worry about that, now.

Had your iMac been running hot before this?

You never mentioned anything about heat issues in your previous post.

Time to call and make an appointment and bring this into Apple for diagnosis and repair.

Hopefully, no damage done, but at this point, no way to be sure.

Bring it to Apple for repair.

😟

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2013 9:44 PM in response to Janice Fisher

Something seriously overheated!

At this point, leave the iMac off and unplug everything even unplug from power.

When was the last time any of the venting and exhaust ports got cleaned out/vacuumed out?

I think it's too late to worry about that, now.

Had your iMac been running hot before this?

You never mentioned anything about heat issues in your previous post.

Time to call and make an appointment and bring this into Apple for diagnosis and repair.

Hopefully, no damage done, but at this point, no way to be sure.

Bring it to Apple for repair.

😟

May 2, 2013 9:45 PM in response to Janice Fisher

Hi Janice,

In response to "How long before I can turn it on"....never!!! As Michel indicated, something is seriously wrong, and you should not even consider turning it on again. Take it to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Retailer and have it looked at so they can tell you what has caused this, and how much it will be to repair it!

If it is not yet unplugged, unplug it immediately. Keep it unplugged and turned off until it can be looked at by an Apple technician!

Sorry your iMac died....😢

Best of luck!

GB

May 2, 2013 10:02 PM in response to MichelPM

I have never had anything like this! a couple of years ago it shut off a couple of times. t turned right back on and there were no more problems. Until tonight! Scared me to death! I googled tne problem and several described tne same thing. It turned off. I tried to turn it back on but nothing happened. I waited about a minute and tried again to turn it on. It made a loud whirring noise and then started to smoke....a lot of smoke. I hit the off button a d it shut right done....it may have just shut down on its own.

You mentioned taking it to apple. I have always done that. We have a great company here that people really like which I had thought about using. But, maybe I should stick with Apple....

May 2, 2013 10:12 PM in response to Janice Fisher

With Apple Computers, you need to take either to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized repair center.

You can't just have any willy nilly PC repair place work on Macs. They simply aren't qualified to know how to repair or replace parts in a Mac. In most cases, if a PC repair place works on Macs, these places are not authorized repair centers and can't get the genuine Apple parts that are needed for repairs and/or component replacement.

Take your iMac to Apple!

It may, in fact, be dead.

😟

May 3, 2013 7:56 AM in response to Janice Fisher

Hi Janice,

If you cannot afford a new Mac right now, it maybe best to let Apple or the Authorized repair center diagnose the issue and then tell you what it is that went bad and then let then tell you the estimated costs

Without knowing your financial situation, It might be cheaper for your to have your iMac repaired if you can't get or find the funds for a new one.

Just a thought.

So sorry your iMac blew up.

😟

May 3, 2013 9:16 AM in response to Janice Fisher

If you take it to an Apple Store, ask if a Depot Repair is available for your model. That means instead of fixing your computer in the store, they send it to a central Apple refurbishment center where they fix just about anything they find wrong (other than accidental damage or abuse) for a flat fee. If the display is bad, the flat fee goes up. Other than that, the base fee usually covers everything.

I don't know what the fee is for an IMac, but at one point when a MacBook pro logic board replacement was $800-1000 in-store, the Depot service flat fee was about $315 and some people found out the center had replaced other components in danger of failing, like optical drives or wireless cards.

This service may not be available any more, or maybe it was only for easily-shipped notebook models, but it is well worth the asking if yo uno longer have warranty coverage.

The only downside to the Depot Repair is that it takes longer than the in-store option. However, when people were having their MacBook Pros serviced this way, they were reporting 5-7 days door-to-door.

May 3, 2013 11:08 AM in response to MichelPM

I so much appreciate yours and Allan's vwrious options and suggestions. Ive been giving tne situation some careful thought and, while I can't really afford a new computer (who can? ) I think taking the plunge is probably the wisest thing to do. I don't think this computer is fixable, but even if it were, the cost would be significant and I would still have an iMac that is just over five years old. I"m thinking I would rather put possible repair costs towards a new ome.

My decision now is do I want a other iMac or should I get a laptop? The laptops are expensive but for a variety of reasons I think it would better serve my current and future needs. My only concern is that I have some vision problems that will probably make it necessary to get tne 15 inch and, yikes, is it expensive!!!

I must say, as I have since I got my first computer 15 years ago, I would never have made it without these Apple boards. I have had the best help and advice from everyone here...much better than calling Apple, although they are good as well. Thanks again for your help....beware, though, that when I get the new computer, you may be in even greater demand!

May 3, 2013 1:58 PM in response to Janice Fisher

Hi Janice,

Well, if you're able to purchase a new Mac, great!

Make sure you budget during the first year of owning a new Mac and purchase and register at Apple for the 3-year extended AppleCare warranty plan.

Also, the MacBook forums have plenty of experienced users there to help you with your potential new MacBook!

I have no experience whatsoever with MacBooks. I am a Die-hard Mac desktop computer user that uses an iPad away from my main Mac.

So, you'll never hear from me in those discussion forums.

My only advice about the 15 inch MacBook Pros is if you want to save some money, Apple still makes the 15 inch screen model without the retina display. If you can live without the retina display, the 15 inch screen model is $1800.

Good luck to you and good luck with your future Mac purchase and ownership!

Be Well!

Michel

🙂

What would make my iMac start to smoke?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.