Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automator_jpg to pdf with original file name?

How goes there people, good i hope.

I am trying to create a work flow or service through Automator in which i can select specific jpg file or files, right click and select service (titled "pdf convertor" i have created) and have jpg convert to pdf with the original fie name.

Is there also a way i can have the converted pdf file located into the original file where the jpg is located?

Many thanks for you help

have great day.

Lynden

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Automator

Posted on May 2, 2013 8:18 PM

8 replies

May 2, 2013 9:36 PM in response to Lindo77

Here you go. This does exactly what you want it to do except for one thing, the name of the PDF will be the name of the folder where you have the images. The reason why I did this is because I was not sure what image name you wanted as you will have more than one image.

Below I have included the workflow attached. Now the other thing, is that there are a couple of 3rd party actions which you will have to download, unfortunately.

Here it is:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Here is the workflow you can download.

May 3, 2013 12:25 AM in response to pjdube

Thanks pgdube for your efforts, much appreciate them.

Unfortunately after downloading the 3rd party actions (demo mode) from Finder Automator Action Pack.app Automated Workflows, LLC, the result was an error

User uploaded file.

Tried reinstalling everything, trialing it on single, group and file jpg and no return pdf.

I am absolutely new to all of this except for a few easy things but this is teaching me something new.

I did notice that the "getnames of finder items" is version 1 on your screenshot where as mine is v1 and

"Wait for finder items" is version 3 for you and mine is v2. Would this make an difference even though we have the same download privider?

In return to your uncertainty about file name, i am wanting the original jpg file name with the pdf extention.

I hope you can help, you will save me a load of time if we can get this right. :-)

cheers,

Lindo

May 4, 2013 8:33 AM in response to Lindo77

The reason why it didn't work is because the workflow you built is not exactly like the one I did.

If you look at my example and yours you will see that right after the first Set Value of Variable that this does not connect to the next action (it shouldn't). As well following right after this you should be a Get Value of Variable (of OriginalFolder) connected to the Get Names of Finder Items.

Fix that and it should work.

Then it should work!!!

Good luck.

May 13, 2013 1:48 PM in response to pjdube

This worked almost perfectly for me and I am very grateful to you, pjdube, for getting me this far. My missing step was the 3rd party sourced "Get Names of Finder Items".

My only issue now is that I have multi-page TIFFs and this only converts the first page - so infuriating! Is there any way to make it convert all the pages into one PDF?

Thanks in anticipation?

May 13, 2013 7:11 PM in response to DavidITGuru

No problem David,

I can assure you that without a doubt that my workflow works above. Can you upload a screenshot of your workflow so I can see where this is going wrong?

I am assuming that you got the 3rd party action "Get Names of Finder Items" and you put that in the workflow and tried it?

Another question, what is the average size of the TIFF files do you have?

Jul 1, 2015 4:44 PM in response to Lindo77

Just wondering: did any of you notice that the resulting PDF was unusually large? I'm finding that when I send jpegs to "New PDF from Images" in Automator, under both this workflow and others I have tried, they are often several times larger than the originals. (Conversely, making a PDF from the same files in Acrobat creates a PDF approximately the same size as the combined size of the original jpegs). If you dealt with this, I'd appreciate any solutions!

Automator_jpg to pdf with original file name?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.