Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are my new, blank tabs titled "Untitled 2"?

This just started happening tonight. Restarting Safari doesn't help. It's not a major bother -- Safari still works fine. I just find it really curious that it started happening. I don't have any other Safari windows open.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on May 2, 2013 10:30 PM

8 replies

May 3, 2013 7:20 AM in response to promohthree

any Safari extensions enabled ?

If so, test without.

Failing that, triple-click to select the line below & choose Services-Reveal from the Safari or ctrl-click menu.

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

Then with Safari Quit - move that file out to the Desktop. Test Safari again after setting 'tabs open with'...

any better ? - If not, quit safari & replace the file, overwriting the newer one.

This file contains most all safari settings, including those for extensions... so restting all those may not seem worth it for this.

Dec 1, 2015 8:46 AM in response to promohthree

I thought I'd chime in on this thread even though it's old, because it's the first hit on Google about this problem.

I fixed this on my copy of Safari by doing the following.

1. Close all open Safari windows (not tabs). You should end up with just the menu bar and no open windows. (Keep in mind that you'll lose any unpinned tabs by doing this, so bookmark/pin/etc. any tabs you want to hang onto.)
  2. Go to the Safari menu and select File/New Window. Any new tabs will now only say "Untitled" and not "Untitled [number]".

After researching this problem, it seems to happen when a new window (not tab) is opened, and the original window is closed, so even though Safari only shows one open window, it still considers that window to be the second one opened, and therefore labels all tabs in it accordingly ("Untitled 2").

While the "Untitled [number]" issue is a bit of an annoyance for those of us with AR tendencies, I would think it would be a simple fix for the Safari team, so it's possible it will be addressed in a future release. In the meantime, this workaround seems to work for me, and hopefully for anyone else. If not, please post.

Why are my new, blank tabs titled "Untitled 2"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.