Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to copy and paste a multi-page table of contents?

Hi everyone.

I have a large document with a Table Of Contents extending over two pages. I'd like to copy the entire TOC then paste it into a new Pages document.

I have been able to copy the TOC however when I try to paste it into a new blank Word Processing pages document the following Error message appears: "The table of contents is empty because none of the paragraph styles selected in the Document Inspector are used in the document."

I can paste it into a blank Page Layout pages document however it pastes it into a text box with only one page of the TOC in it. Even if the new Page Layout document has two pages and I extend the text box over the two pages only one page of the TOC is copied into the new Page Layout document. At the moment the only work-around I can do is to take a screen shot of each individual page of the TOC and paste them individually into a new pages document. I have tried exporting the entire original document to a plain text file however all the formating is lost (obviously). I have also tried exporting the entire original document to a Word document (.doc) however it won't let me copy the multi-page TOC and paste it into a new Word document.

Is there any way to successfully copy a multi-page table of contents to a new Pages document?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on May 2, 2013 11:19 PM

22 replies

May 2, 2013 11:53 PM in response to VQM

The TOC is a hyperlinked text derived from the contents of the file it was generated in.

You can try exporting the pages the TOC is on as rtf, text or pdf and transferring that, but I would question the value of a TOC for one document being in an entirely different document, which doesn't have what the TOC is pointing to.

Have you tried copying the T.O.C. Section from the document Thumbnails and pasting into the document Thumbnails of the 2nd document?

Peter

May 3, 2013 12:10 AM in response to fruhulda

Thanks for the quick replies!

The copied TOC do not need to be editable and they do not need to "point" to anything at all. They just need to be copies of the TOC purely for reference purposes.

I actually have a number of such documents which are "modules" for a course. A number of my students have requested copies of the TOC only for quick referencing.

May 3, 2013 12:46 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Thanks Peter.

PeterBreis0807 wrote:

The TOC is a hyperlinked text derived from the contents of the file it was generated in.

You can try exporting the pages the TOC is on as rtf, text or pdf and transferring that, but I would question the value of a TOC for one document being in an entirely different document, which doesn't have what the TOC is pointing to.

Have you tried copying the T.O.C. Section from the document Thumbnails and pasting into the document Thumbnails of the 2nd document?

Peter

How does one export individual pages from a Pages document?

I've also tried to copy the TOC section from the document thumbnail however I can't figure out how to select multiple pages in the document thumbnails. It only allows me to select one at a time. Furthermore, when I do select a single page from the thumbnail section and attempt to drag and drop it into the the thumbnail section of the second document it picks up the whole document and wont allow me to move it from the thumbnail section of the original document.

May 3, 2013 12:56 AM in response to fruhulda

Thanks again fruhulda.

Have exported the whole document as a PDF but now how do I get just the TOC in a separate document. I've tried highlighting the pages containing the TOC in the thumbnails, then right clicking and Export As however it exports the whole document again. I've also tried highlighting the TOC from the pdf file of the document, copying that to the clipboard and trying File>New from clipboard however that option is still greyed-out.

May 3, 2013 2:29 AM in response to VQM

VQM wrote:

Thanks Peter.

PeterBreis0807 wrote:

Peter

How does one export individual pages from a Pages document?

I've also tried to copy the TOC section from the document thumbnail however I can't figure out how to select multiple pages in the document thumbnails. It only allows me to select one at a time. Furthermore, when I do select a single page from the thumbnail section and attempt to drag and drop it into the the thumbnail section of the second document it picks up the whole document and wont allow me to move it from the thumbnail section of the original document.

Shift click to select multiple pages, and I did say Copy and Paste, not drag and drop.

Peter

May 4, 2013 1:07 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Hi Peter.

You did say Copy and Paste. I neglected to mention that when I Copy and Paste as you suggest the entire document is copied and pasted into the new Pages document. Also, in Pages, shift-clicking does not select multiple pages. As I mentioned, I can only select one page at a time. I also tried option-click, command-click, option-command-click, shift-command-click, shift-option-click and shift-option-command click.

However, I can select multiple pages in the thumbnails when the document is in pdf format in Preview. Thanks anyway for your suggestions 🙂

How to copy and paste a multi-page table of contents?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.