Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I message on imac not working. recently had a logic board replacement

Hi my imac recently (2days back) had a logic board n a video card replacement. ans suddenly my imessage is not working, when i go to accounts n try signing in, it shows "The server encountered an error processing registration. Please try again later." i only use imessage, not any other like gtalk n all that. I tried many things but dint work so, HELP please! oh yeah n my imessage was working yesterday, when it came from apple care after the replacement, but then i updated it from 10.8.2 to i think 10.8.3 n imessage stopped working.

Thanks

Hartaj

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), iMessage

Posted on May 3, 2013 12:37 AM

23 replies

May 3, 2013 11:52 AM in response to hartaj

Hi,

Open the Apple iCon menu top left.

Select About this Mac

In the new panel that open click twice on the lone that tells you the OS X version number.

This will change to the Build number (another way Apple numbers the OS version) and then to the Serial Number.

Is the Serial Number present ?

If not go back to the repair place and have them put it back.

If the Logic Board is replaced part of the Process is to "Flash" the number back to the new board.

The Number is needed in the verification process that adds an Authorisation Token for iMessages (or FaceTime) to the Keychain.

User uploaded file
7:52 PM Friday; May 3, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.3)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

May 3, 2013 12:07 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

yeah serial number is present. and adding to my imessage probs m getting more problems like headphones muting itself some times (like every 30 min) n unmuting automatically. songs in itunes getting paused n after two sec playing :S if i call the apple technition (apple care), it might not show thses probs when he is there, coz it happens quite less like every 15-40min.

May 3, 2013 12:09 PM in response to Sparklebuns

HI,

Next check the hosts file.

In the Finder > Go Menu > Go to Folder type in etc/hosts

This will open the etc folder (normally hidden) and highlight the the hosts file (it is in lower case)

Right click the file and use Open with and chose TextEdit to read the file.

If unchanged it looks like this:-

User uploaded file

If it mentions Apple or Verisign then you need to edit it - but that will need to be done in Terminal.

User uploaded file
8:09 PM Friday; May 3, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

May 3, 2013 12:21 PM in response to hartaj

Yep.

Also my apologies as I have missed off a Leading / It should be /etc/hosts

User uploaded file
8:21 PM Friday; May 3, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

May 3, 2013 12:33 PM in response to hartaj

Hi,

Those are the two most common causes that there are for this.

Have you use the Disk Utility to Repair Permission since updating the OS ?

In Applications/Utilities open the Disk Utility and chose the First Aid tab and then the Repair Permission lower left of the right hand pane.

User uploaded file
8:33 PM Friday; May 3, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jul 5, 2013 1:13 AM in response to hartaj

I am having same problem. I have a serial number present but the techinician entered a different serial instead of original when changing the logic board. I have tried all above but no joy. I still can't login to imessage, facetime or I have noticed my documents at Pages, Numbers or Keynote in my MacBook don't upload but wait in "waiting" state. Do you have any recommendations for this case?

Jul 5, 2013 11:50 AM in response to Hakan Uzer

HI,

If the entered Serial number is incorrect then that will have to be corrected at an Apple Store or Apple Authorise Service Provider.

User uploaded file
7:50 PM Friday; July 5, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.4)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jul 11, 2013 12:27 PM in response to Hakan Uzer

Hi,

I would guess that there may well be some policy that prevent people getting the Serial Number changed to something else to qualify fro some return or recall situation.

I can see that being broadened out to include situations where people take the logic board from one place and install it somewhere else such as a different model Mac (or some weird Hackintosh) or just mixing parts up if stolen to confuse things.

On the other hand I would guess you have paperwork that says they "flashed" the board's memory and that they actually have some way of tracking what number they actually Installed and that you should have a case about the task they did not being fit for purpose.

User uploaded file
8:27 PM Thursday; July 11, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.4)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

I message on imac not working. recently had a logic board replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.