Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbookpro can't recognize bootable usb at boot time?

I have an old macbookpro:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0F

I created a windows usb with bootcamp assistant, "Create a Windows 7 or later version install disk" with a windows 7 ISO image.

I went through bootcamp's "Install or remove Windows 7" option and partitioned 21GB from my harddisk for my windows partition (it's named "BOOTCAMP", MS-DOS (FAT)).

I plugged in my usb and restarted my laptop. I pressed option during boot to go into the boot menu. Somehow, my usb stick doesn't show up in the boot menu. I only see my normal boot partition and a recover partition. I tried removing the USB stick while I am still in that menu and plugging it back to see if that will fix the problem. It did not.

Strangely, I noticed that my USB stick does not light up when I unplugged it and reinserted it when my mac is in the boot menu. Normally the usb stick will light up when inserted into this usb port.

I thought my ISO is not bootable so I tried another windows 7 ISO and the results remain the same.

Is it possible that my model is too old such that it doesn't allow booting from USB during boot time? Is it possible that older ROMS do not check for USB drives during boot time (hence explaining why my usb doesn't light up)?

I can assure you that my usb port is functioning correctly (at least during Mac OS X run time).

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 3, 2013 2:23 AM

13 replies

May 3, 2013 2:33 AM in response to Vicngtor

I know what you did. You "hacked" Boot Camp Assistant in order to be able to create a Windows USB drive, and that's right, but the problem is that only Macs that come without a SuperDrive (the MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mid 2011 and newer Macs mini, the Late 2012 iMac and all MacBooks Air) can install Windows through a USB drive because of firmware restrictions.

In your case, you have to install Windows with the SuperDrive which came with your computer, if you still have it

May 3, 2013 12:30 PM in response to Vicngtor

That's correct. The DVD drive is the SuperDrive. Unfortunately, you need the original SuperDrive in your computer in order to install Windows, and it's not possible to upgrade the firmware because only Apple provides updates.

If you haven't got the SuperDrive, you have to buy one and install it again. Fortunately, there's a solution because iFixit sells the original SuperDrive which came with your computer > http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Unibody-Mid-2009-Mid-201 0-Early-2011-8x-SATA-SuperDrive-Used/IF161-033?utm_source=ifixit_guide&utm_mediu m=guide_intro&utm_content=required_items&utm_term=macbook_pro_15%22_unibody_mid_ 2010 It's expensive, but it's the only solution.

To install the SuperDrive, you can follow this how-to > http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2010+Optical+Drive+R eplacement/3074/1

Dec 16, 2013 1:41 PM in response to Gabriel Dib

Hi Guys,

I just did the same thing and fixed the Bootcamp plist to allow install to a USB drive. Intel Core Duo 2.3 Ghz

But I have the same problem, in that the USB drive is not recognised as Bootable. (In Startup Disk or at Boot).

I have a SuperDrive, but this only allows me to install to the Hard Disk in a new partition.

WHY oh WHY, Apple, is this fairly simple procedure bastardized, for some models?

And can we work around it?

Feb 20, 2014 6:44 AM in response to Redblock307

I've work on various macs and I have noticed that some of the intel-based macs sometimes will recognize the bootable USB drive and some will not. Even some of the newer models (especially 2009-2010). I've narrowed it down to the firmware. I ALWAYS use my special Recovery Disk Assitant USB drive I created (and I only use this one because different model macs have different builds and when it downloads the new OS X from the apple server it automatically chooses the correct osx build for your mac. For example: because an installer for some MBP doesnt work for iMac) and when the USB doesnt show up the quickest solution is to take it to the Apple store. Why? Because they can boot from their network server and directly load firmware and OS X without any USBs and Disks. Someone mentioned that Apple is the only entity that can upgrade your firmware and this is not true. I've upgraded my own firmware before because Apple provides Firmware updates directly on their website along with SMC updates. Hope this helps point you guys in the right direction.

Mar 30, 2014 12:05 PM in response to Vicngtor

I have the same problem where i cannott see any USB harddrives when booting and holding "option". Im on a MBP 15" mid 2010.

I am sure i used to be able to do this. Have installed windows 7 on this computer multiple times from different USB HDDs and flash drives.

Now i installed rEFit, and i am able to see and select my bootable windows 7 USB drive when i start up the computer. But if i select, i am beeing told, that my version of firmware will not allow installing from a USB drive.

Why did they remove this feature? :/

Macbookpro can't recognize bootable usb at boot time?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.