Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay Video quality and buffering

I'm new to apple TV and am trying to watch my home movies (holidays etc) over airpay. However, I've found that if I try to watch in Full HD there's a considerable amount of buffering (2-3 mins) before the movie will start to play, and if I skip if buffers again. Basically is seems any file over 1.2GB struggles. I can convert the video using a lower bitrate etc which reduces the file size, but then obviously you lose quality.

Is there a way of playing Full HD video of large file sizes without buffering, or a way of compressing the video files without losing picture quality? I've tried MP4 and .MOV but the file sizes are very large.

TIA

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on May 3, 2013 5:07 AM

2 replies

May 6, 2013 8:52 AM in response to mario49

Thanks for the help, but this did not solve my problem. I have found a workaround though which is satisfactory.

What I've found that ideally the bitrate needs to be around 15, 20 and above it struggles regardless of file size. I tried converting with wondershare with a lower bitrate (eg original bitrate 23, converted 15) but the quality was noticeably worse. I tried passthrough using quicktime pro 7, but as you'd expect the bitrate didn't alter.

What I found by trial and error was to open the original .mov file using quicktime player 10 (10.2), go to file > Export and in the format dropdown select 1080p. The exported movie has a lower bitrate with no/VERY VERY little loss in video quality. These then play over airplay with no lag/buffering 😎

Airplay Video quality and buffering

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.