Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Download Window Issue

When I download a pdf file from a website the download dialog box opens in a new active window. Once the download completes and when I open the file the download window remains open. Is there any way to close it automatically once we open the file ? Any options available ?

Browser - Safari 5.1.7

Platform Used - Windows 7

Kindly let me know if you need more details.

Desktop-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on May 3, 2013 4:46 AM

8 replies

May 8, 2013 6:26 AM in response to vijayarajan.ravindran

vijayarajan.ravindran wrote:

Hi Michael,

The other way round, is there any workaround to open the download prompt alone when we download from any links either in Windows Safari or Mac Safari versions ?

Vijay.

Not sure what you mean by "open the download prompt alone".

You can right click on a link and select "Download Linked File". That will not open a separate window for the download.

May 9, 2013 7:42 AM in response to etresoft

Hi All,

Our application is a flex application which runs in a flash player and the flash application is displayed

inside an iframe. Currently in the application when we download a file we will use a method called URLNavigator

in flex with the url of the file to be opened and the location where the file should be downloaded (currently we are using location option as _top which will open the safari window alone in the current window) as parameters. This worked well but now when we tested our application in Safari 5 of Windows 7 platform our flash content got disappeared when we downloaded the file (Attached Image 1). The flash content got displayed only when we reloaded the page (Attached Image 2). We suspect that the issue is with the iframe. Is this a known issue with safari ? Can anyone give us an workaround for this issue ?

The alternate solution we tried is by changing the window open location from _top to _blank

which opened the download in a new window but that too poped out with an extra window which also seems anoying. please suggest a solution for the issues.

Image 1

User uploaded file

Image 2

User uploaded file

Safari Download Window Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.