Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

footnote and text problems

I'm working in Pages 9.0 with a lot of footnotes. Most of the time it's all peachy, but at more than one occassion, when I tried to correct text in a footnote Pages won't let me get to the note in question straight-away; I have to click on the footnote number in the text to get into that particular note. Clicking on the note itself doesn't work at all. Moreover, I can't even get into the last 6 or 7 lines of the main text (above the notes) itself! For that I have to put the cursor in the text above it and "walk" with the cursor keys down until I reach those last lines. It seems to me that there is somewhere somehow an "invisible" space near the bottom that blocks the footnote(s) and the bottom lines of the text. On top of that in some chapters correcting notes and/or text works just fine but in other chapters in won't work at all. Frankly, it drives me mad!!

Has anyone encountered this problem? 😟

I'm working on a Mac Pro with OS X 6.8 and Pages 9. The wordprocessing document is 13,5 by 20 cm, margins 2 cm all over.

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Mac Pro,

Posted on May 3, 2013 5:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2013 5:52 AM

You have run into the problem with not being able to edit the last few lines in a document. It usually appears when are a lot of pages and a lot of formatting. Try selecting all in the document and paste into a new blank template. I hope you will get all the footnotes too.

7 replies

May 3, 2013 6:09 AM in response to fruhulda

Hi Fruhulda,

Thanks for your superfast reply! It also creates a new problem 😟. Yes, the document has 240 pages and over 400 footnotes, and indeed a lot of formatting. I did try to port the whole shebang over in a new document (and yes, when you copy the text it will also grab the footnotes - in itself a miracle!), but alas! the same problem came back with it: I can't get to my footnotes or the lowest 11 lines in the document itself. Weird, isn't it?

For now I'm trying to set up a document with just a single chapter. After all, with Adobe's Acrobat I can stitch the whole lot together in an PDF if needed. It's a hassle, but if it solves the problem....😉 I'll keep you posted. In the meantime, thanks for your suggestion.

May 3, 2013 6:42 AM in response to johan-martijn

Hi Johan,

There are many posts in these Pages Discussions about problems with large documents. Please remember that Pages is not Word. Pages is great value for a $20 word processor and it is a joy to use with small documents. You are right to split your large document into several documents, one for each chapter. Recombine as fruhulda suggests.

Happy computing!

Regards,

Ian.

May 3, 2013 6:48 AM in response to fruhulda

Yep, I know. But Acrobat Pro gives me a bit more control. Anyhow, I've tried the one-chapter-at-the-time approach, using a chapter with which I had considerable trouble with the footnotes and/or bottom text, and you know what? It worked! It's a roundabout, but it works and that's the main point.

Still, I think it's a bit worrying why Pages wouldn't go the whole nine yards. After all, the ability to work with footnotes is really a great asset, especially for footnote maniacs like me ;-) The ease with which notes can be numbered, deleted, copied elsewhere etc. is absolute great - comparing with the rather cumbersome way in which Xpress and inDesign extensions use the Sonar Bookend Footnotes.

Well, we have to do with what we're getting.... ;-)

footnote and text problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.