Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail asks for attachment application every time

Greetings. I just purchased a MacBook Intel Core Duo. When I receive attachments, Mail tell me: "The application (pick one, Word, Excel, iCal...) failed to open the attachment.... Would you like to save the file to iDisk. I can then choose the application, but Mail does not remember application. Is there a way around this? Thanks!!!

MackBook Intel Core Duo Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on May 29, 2006 4:42 PM

11 replies

May 29, 2006 6:11 PM in response to Branford Marsalis

Hello! Try saving one of the files to the desktop. Then click once on the file icon to highlight the file. Then either right click on the file icon or do a "get info" on the file from the file menu. Where it says "open with" and you can select the app you want to open the file. Then right below it the is a box that says "change all". Click it and from then on the correct app should open the file. Tom

May 30, 2006 1:43 PM in response to Ferd II

Thanks Ferd and Thomas for the help. I tried both options and have the same problem. When I used the information window, I get the default program is Word 2004, which I removed from the cpu since i had no intention of buying it. It seems as though Mail looks for 2004, and when it can't find it opens the window I described. Is there a way to make Word X the default program? Thanks in advance.

Jun 2, 2006 7:28 PM in response to Branford Marsalis

Branford,

The fact that you have new preferences indicates to me that Mail has unexpectedly quit more than once and you have chosen to restore the applications default settings as described in Mac OS X 10.4: Reopening an application after it unexpectedly quits.

It may be beneficial if you posted the most recent Mail Crash log which can be found in your Macintosh HD/Users/yourusername/Library/Logs/CrashReporter Folder. Someone may be able to gather clues from that report.

;~)
User uploaded file

Mail asks for attachment application every time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.