Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad won't accept wifi password

Three iPhones and two Macs are connected to our new home network, but my iPad says the password is "incorrect." I've tried all the suggested steps: I've power cycled the modem/Airport base station. Ive updated the firmware on the Airport. I've restarted my iPad twice. I've tried to "forget" the network. I've switched from WPA2 to WPA and back. ETc, etc. Help! What can I do?

iPad 2

Posted on May 3, 2013 5:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2013 2:49 PM

Can it connect to other networks?

Try changing the password to the network, or removing it. (just to test if it will connect).

Reboot ipad by pressing and holding both the home and sleep/wake buttons at the same time until the apple logo appears on the screen, then let go. Then try to connect to network.

Go to settings, Toggle airplane mode on/off. Make sure bluetooth is off. Turn on wif (airplane mode off). Try to connect.

Reset Network Settings

Go to settings/general/reset/reset network settings. Then try to connect to network.

If its your home router, then reboot router by unplugging for 5-10min. (do this while you're resetting network settings).

If problem persists, then check for firmware updates on your router.(you check router manufacturer support website for downloads and instructions).

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2013 2:49 PM in response to DC142

Can it connect to other networks?

Try changing the password to the network, or removing it. (just to test if it will connect).

Reboot ipad by pressing and holding both the home and sleep/wake buttons at the same time until the apple logo appears on the screen, then let go. Then try to connect to network.

Go to settings, Toggle airplane mode on/off. Make sure bluetooth is off. Turn on wif (airplane mode off). Try to connect.

Reset Network Settings

Go to settings/general/reset/reset network settings. Then try to connect to network.

If its your home router, then reboot router by unplugging for 5-10min. (do this while you're resetting network settings).

If problem persists, then check for firmware updates on your router.(you check router manufacturer support website for downloads and instructions).

May 9, 2013 8:44 AM in response to GrumpyGator

Sorry. I tried it in a hotel, and it connected fine. I tried power cycling the modem/router, and it didnt' work. I updated the firmware on my Airport Express. Two Macs, three iPhones and one PC connect to the network without any problem. The iPad won't recognize the network password or even the guest network password.

Should I restore the iPad to factory settings through iTunes? All my data are backed up.

May 9, 2013 8:53 AM in response to DC142

If the ipad can connect to other networks, then thats an indication that the communication between the home router and ipad is to blame. Removing the password from the network will provide a better indication of what might be going on. (if the ipad is able to connect to your home router without any password authentication, then maybe reset the routher)

Doing a complete factory reset of the router would be easier and less time consuming than restoring the ipad, in my opinion.

You may end up doing both to resolve the issue though.

I always start with the simpliest first. So I would try removing the password from the guest account to see if the ipad can connect.

If that doesn't work, then reset the router. (reset button on back, use a paperclip to hold it in for a count of 60 sec)

This will erase all router settings.

May 10, 2013 8:31 AM in response to GrumpyGator

I tried all your steps -- I changed the channel on the Airport Express, reset it and changed the password again. Nothing worked. Ulitmately, I had to restore my iPad and update the software, and that did it. Now I have a functioning iPad again! All I lost was a couple of photos that hadn't been backed up, but no biggie. Thanks!

Sep 19, 2013 4:46 AM in response to DC142

Just had same problem when downloaded new IOS to ipad mini - it would not recognize my wifi home router password so here is what worked.

It just kept saying incorrect password but here is what worked

Similar to other suggestion on this forum:

TWO STEPS worked for me

Reset Network Settings

Go to settings/general/reset/reset network settings

Then I unplugged the power to my Wifi Router for 60 seconds. Plugged it back in and waited for all green lights.

Then I simply turned on wifi on the ipad and this time it accepted my ipad password just fine.

So the problem was with the router and ipad talking after the new ios download - just reset both NETWORKS and you should be good to go...

iPad won't accept wifi password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.