Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can’t find compress option

When I right click on a file, the pop-up doesn’t contain the “Compress” option. Where is it now?

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 3, 2013 7:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2017 7:58 AM

BTW, there's another possible reason: if you name the file with ".zip" on the end, the Compress command is hidden.

I've had multiple people do this.

7 replies

Jul 10, 2013 1:35 PM in response to abrich

I have the exact same issue - I right-click any file and there is no "compress" option. I am trying to send a file to tech support of an application I use, and they need the file to be in zip format. Their instructions say to right click (or option-click) and select "compress"....

Hard to do when the option doesn't exist!

Where in the world did it go?

Jan 7, 2015 11:28 AM in response to Max_mac

I had this issue - the right click menu didn't contain compress and it was greyed out in the file menu. I checked permissions on the file which is all the Apple support suggests, and I did have read/write access. The file I was trying to compress was in my dropbox folder, so as an experiment I copied it to my Documents folder and that worked, I got the menu option on the right click again. Hope this helps.

can’t find compress option

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.