Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk storage needs reorganising

I need to reorganise my disk storage as images are scattered across several folders. How can I do this and not lose the path in Aperture? I have several folders holding images, and Aperture references them all, but it is difficult to manage everything in Finder

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 3, 2013 8:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2013 8:26 AM

but it is difficult to manage everything in Finder

Don't move the image files using the Finder - this will break the connection between image versions and original files.

Select the images in Aperture's Browser and use the command "File > Relocate Originals" to move the original image versions to the folders where you want them.

See: Relocating Referenced Masters

Regards

Léonie

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2013 8:26 AM in response to Julianp106

but it is difficult to manage everything in Finder

Don't move the image files using the Finder - this will break the connection between image versions and original files.

Select the images in Aperture's Browser and use the command "File > Relocate Originals" to move the original image versions to the folders where you want them.

See: Relocating Referenced Masters

Regards

Léonie

May 3, 2013 8:32 AM in response to Julianp106

Do not manage them in Finder. Once you import a file into an Aperture Library, you must use Aperture and only Aperture for almost all file management. (On import, your files become, to Aperture, "Originals".)

Aperture has robust tools for managing Originals.

Decide how you would like your Referenced Originals organized, then use "File➞Relocate Originals" to gather your Originals and re-file them.

Note that the Finder folder structure is strictly a convenience for you. Aperture does not care, and will do equally well with all your Originals held in one Finder folder (though, at the least, you might use one Finder folder for each year).

Instructions for relocating your Originals are on this page in the User Manual. ("Master" is the same as "Original". Apple renamed them.)

Disk storage needs reorganising

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.