Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 5.1.9 weirdness

Yesterday most of the websites I go to would not fully load. Looking at the Status Bar everything loads except the last 1 or 2 pages. It just keeps trying to load and finally times out. I estimate that this is happening on about 70% of the websites I visit. Occasionally it will start loading a site and it will load a few pages and then just stop loading. If I stop it from loading and then refresh it usually loads with no problem. This is happening frequently trying to go to Google.

Any ideas what may be wrong? I'm using OSX 10.6.8 and have had zero problems until yesterday.

Mini 2.53, 4GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 3, 2013 9:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2013 11:52 AM

Douglas --

Have you emptied the Safari cache & cleared the History list?

If so, it could be a problem your ISP is having. Or a DNS problem --

but do the above ideas first then restart Safari and get back to us, OK?

7 replies

May 3, 2013 12:13 PM in response to Douglas

Same exact problem here and it just started yesterday. Webpages opening very slowly or hanging. Opening any of the same web pages in Chrome or Firefox...instant. Safari is the issue on both my iMac and MacBook Air (iOS Safari is fine). Even opening basic Google page can be painfully slow.

Have fully reset Safari, clearing everything.

Safari Version 6.0.4 (8536.29.13) OS X 10.8.3

Something's amiss.

May 3, 2013 3:25 PM in response to TildeBee

Prior to posting I had already cleared Safari Cache and cleared. After posting I reset my modem with the computer off. Rebooted and the problem continued. I repaired Permissions, nothing reported, and rebooted again. The problem continued but I noticed that my Trash was giving me the 'this file will be deleted immediately' message. I could not recall how I fixed this problem a long time ago and figured what the **** I'll just reboot again and see what happens. After this reboot, my Trash was back to normal and Safari hanging and not loading was resolved too.

There must have been some gremlins in my system somewhere. I know I rebooted at least 5 times since yesterday trying to fix this, I guess the last one worked.

I do sincerely appreciate all the assistance.

May 3, 2013 3:57 PM in response to Douglas

Douglas wrote:

Prior to posting I had already cleared Safari Cache and cleared. After posting I reset my modem with the computer off. Rebooted and the problem continued. I repaired Permissions, nothing reported, and rebooted again. The problem continued but I noticed that my Trash was giving me the 'this file will be deleted immediately' message. I could not recall how I fixed this problem a long time ago and figured what the **** I'll just reboot again and see what happens. After this reboot, my Trash was back to normal and Safari hanging and not loading was resolved too.

There must have been some gremlins in my system somewhere. I know I rebooted at least 5 times since yesterday trying to fix this, I guess the last one worked.

I do sincerely appreciate all the assistance.

Congrats...great to hear. I've heard of rebooting a PC three times to get it to work...but five...on a Mac?!! Unheard of! 😉

I've noticed that Safari has become a bit more responsive now. Haven't rebooted or done anything else. I do wish I knew what the story was/is though.

May 3, 2013 9:37 PM in response to Douglas

The same safari version (5.1.9) and os (10.6.8) here, and it happened exactly the same way for me - i was really annoyed with it and tried all kinds of things beyond the usual items mentioned. Nothing worked so I set it all back to normal and went to work. Guess what? its all working fine again (for now) I have no idea how it fixed itself. Really odd because Chrome worked great while this Safari nonsense was happening , but up until then safari had been rock solid forever.

Safari 5.1.9 weirdness

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.