Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import multiple contacts into a group from an email message

I have received an email from which I wish to import the additional contacts into my address book.

I used to be able to drag/drop them into my address book all at once, but can't any more.

I have also tried drag/drop into a Numbers file to try to convert to a csv and then import, but it copied all the addresses into a single field and I couldn't get them to separate.

UGH. How can I import multiple contacts into a group in my address book from an email message?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on May 3, 2013 10:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2017 9:36 AM

Great workaround! Doesn't create the individual contacts, but until I find anything better, definitely solves the "how to import a group of contacts from an email" question.

7 replies

May 3, 2013 11:47 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks Eric. I have no problem adding one address at a time. What I want to do is add multiple addresses into one group. I have 700 email addresses I need to add. I don't want to have to go through them one at a time.

I used to be able to select all the addresses then drag them to address book. They would appear in the "last import" group and I could then select them all an drag them into a named group.

It won't let me do that any more.

I am searching for another way.

Nov 29, 2015 10:24 AM in response to CottieC

This is not as easy as it should be in 2015, but it can be done. First, Make sure your Contacts icon is accessible, either on the desktop or the easy access bar at the bottom of your screen. I assume all 700 of your contacts are in a folder together somewhere on your Mac, correct? Go to that folder (using Finder or whatever) and select as many of those contacts as you can. Holding down the Command key, shift key or control key all seem to allow clicking on multiple contacts, but there doesn't seem to be a way to click on them en masse. Once you get as many selected as you can, you can drag them to the Contacts icon. Let go of them and you should get a window asking you to confirm the import. Repeat as necessary.

I bet you could also drag them from an email to the Contacts icon. I just used this method to import 500 contacts, 56 of them at a time. Much faster than one at a time!

Sep 26, 2016 4:47 AM in response to CottieC

I was looking to do this for a school team. Here's how I got it to work:

- I opened my address book and created a group folder.

User uploaded file

- Next, I clicked on the + icon to add a new contact card.

User uploaded file

- Then I clicked on the email line of the card. (There are two line options, "Home" or "Work"; click on either one.

User uploaded file

- I went back to a team email and selected all the addresses...

- Then dragged them all onto the email line of the one single contact card. (You have to wait for the green plus sign to appear when adding them or they won't "stick"...it will appear in the either the or "Home" or "Work" box and it doesn't matter which you use.)

User uploaded file

- Click on "Done"

- Move your selector to the email line and a blue envelope will appear.

User uploaded file

- Click on the blue envelope icon and the entire group of addresses are added to the email.

Import multiple contacts into a group from an email message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.