Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Files on external Harddisk

Hello, i have a problem thats a bit hard to describe

so, i have a mac pro, in it i have a harddisk called "files" its 500GB big and i have my files in it, music, photos, documents, videos.... and now for work i have a macbook pro and an external harddisk for it which is also 500GB and can fit the contents from my mac pro, but when i copy the files over from internal to external drive they are arranged different, on my macpro i dont have choosen any arrange function, i know where the files are because i use it since 3 years like this... now on the external harddisk the files and folders are totally differnet arranged... any help how i can get a 1:1 copy of that 500GB harddisk to the other with exact same arrangement of the files/folders?ps. i already set icon size and grid space same on both harddisks...

thanks for any help and sorry for my not perfect english 😉

Mac Pro-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), and MacBook Pro 13" OSX 10.8.3

Posted on May 3, 2013 11:14 AM

1 reply

May 3, 2013 11:27 AM in response to Валя

500GB is small today. I'd say 1TB is standard drive size other than SSD.

And you want to aim for 50/50 free/used.

To do a copy this should.

Using Cloning as a Backup Strategy

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/7032/carbon-copy-cloner

http://www.bombich.com/software/updates/ccc-3.5.html

To synchronize two hard drives I use TRI-Backup 6.

As for arranging... I go for a simple top level of types of media files and libraries and any or everything else is under those main top level folders.

Your home account tends to be organized and force types into Music, Photos, Documents, etc.

Mac OS today and three years ago have not changed much (it did change back in earlier days or transition to OS X from OS 9).

Files on external Harddisk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.