Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why can't I get 1080 when I finalize my project?

I have a short project and when I hit finalize, it only gives me a medium and a large project.

And when I hit share I don't even get an option for 720 or 1080, the boxes are grayed out. I can only choose large, medium, or mobil.

thank you,

Paul Neathery

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), IMovie 11 / iDVD 7.1.2 / iPhoto 9.1

Posted on May 3, 2013 12:25 PM

7 replies

May 3, 2013 3:16 PM in response to paulneathery

Right-click on one of your Event Clips and select Reveal in Finder. In the Finder window that pops up, right click on the highlighted clip and select "Open With...QuickTime Player". In QuickTime Player, type the letter i while holding down the Command Key. This should open the QuickTime Inspector. Tell us the dimensions of your clip and everything you see next to the word FORMAT:

May 3, 2013 8:24 PM in response to paulneathery

OK You are not getting the option to Finalize in 1080 or 720 because your event clips are standard definiiton. You need to shoot with an HD camera to make HD movies. 640x480 is the size used for standard definition cameras and DVDs.

If you have any 1920x1080 clips, you could add them to the project first. Then put in your standard def clips. iMovie will let you share it or finalize in 1920x1080, but the standard def portion will not look as good as the 1920x1080 portion. Here is a sample of what you can expect.

http://youtu.be/VF0QJv3RHJM

May 3, 2013 9:24 PM in response to AppleMan1958

thanks, that must be the reason. I have a question about video quality. None of my movies that are 1080 or 640 that I put on DVD look anything close to good quality video on my flat screen tvs. There is a lot of pixelation and I wish I knew how to make a DVD without pixelation.

I am using a Canon HD camera. Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

May 4, 2013 12:08 PM in response to paulneathery

DVDs are always standard definition, which is like watching a standard def channel on your HD TV. It will never look as good as an HD channel.

So I have moved to watching movies through an Apple TV. I have also tried using a BluRay player, but although the quality is high, it is a pain dealing with the disks.

If you want to use a DVD, I suggest that you use SHARE/EXPORT TO MEDIA BROWSER. Choose LARGE size (960x540). Then, in iDVD, open the Media Browser and drag in your movie. Then burn.

May 5, 2013 9:35 AM in response to AppleMan1958

I use SHARE/EXPORT TO MEDIA BROWSER using LARGE or 1080. Why don't you suggest exporting higher than Large?

I don't expect HD quality or even close. My videos are pixelated, if you know what I mean by that. I just don't understand why? I am using a Mac Pro with video from my Canon HD camera and the DVD is pixelated. I must be missing one thing that is causing that?

why can't I get 1080 when I finalize my project?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.