Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Older AEBS + Brand new Time Capsule: Which 802.11n bands to use?

I have an older AEBS that can serve 802.11n on either the 2.4Ghz or 5GHz bands, and since I have another router that serves 802.11g/b on 2.4GHz, I had the AEBS set to use only the 5GHz band.

Now, I've just bought a Time Capsule. I read that it has better antennas (or something) that make it generally have better range than the older devices, and it also has a mode where it can automatically choose between 5GHz and 2.4GHz.

So, I'd like to optimize my network. And I'm looking for advice on how best to configure the two devices to get highest speed and reliability from my network. Of course, if they both had automatic 2.4/5, then I'd put them both in automatic. What I don't know is how they're going to interact with the AEBS being on 5GHz only, while the other hops around looking for the best one.

Right now, the AEBS is on 5GHz only, while the TC is on automatic. But I'm wondering if it might not be better to switch the AEBS to 2.4GHz-only and put the TC on 5GHz only. The rationale is that I'll get more range from the AEBS due to 2.4GHz having inherently greater range, and more range from the TC on 5GHz due to better technology, and then I can roam between them. But this is based on guessing, and I was wondering if anyone had better suggestions.

Thanks!

P.S. I know that I should have them at different places in the house, and I could use some advice on that too, like which band and which unit should be at a higher elevation, etc.

Posted on May 3, 2013 12:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2013 1:23 PM

and it also has a mode where it can automatically choose between 5GHz and 2.4GHz.

The Time Capsule does not "choose" between 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz, it broadcasts both bands simultaneously. You can't turn one band "on" and the other "off". Both bands are always "on".

It is your other wireless devices that "choose" between 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz based on their capabilities and location in relation to the Time Capsule.

But I'm wondering if it might not be better to switch the AEBS to 2.4GHz-only and put the TC on 5GHz only.

Well, you could configure the AEBS for 2.4 GHz only.....but you cannot configure the TC for 5 GHz only....as both bands are always being broadcasted on the Time Capsule simultaneously.

If the AEBS and Time Capsule are located close together, it might be best to turn off the wireless on the AEBS and simply let the Time Capsule handle both bands, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.

It is true that 2.4 GHz provides greater range, since that band is stronger than 5 GHz. If you plan to use both the AEBS and Time Capsule, it might make sense to locate the AEBS as the more "distant" wireless access point and let the Time Capsule serve as the "main" router handing the central area of wireless coverage.

If you want to take advantage of the faster speeds on 5 GHz, remember that 5 GHz works best when wireless devices are in close proximity to the Time Capsule or they have line-of-sight with the Time Capsule.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2013 1:23 PM in response to theosib

and it also has a mode where it can automatically choose between 5GHz and 2.4GHz.

The Time Capsule does not "choose" between 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz, it broadcasts both bands simultaneously. You can't turn one band "on" and the other "off". Both bands are always "on".

It is your other wireless devices that "choose" between 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz based on their capabilities and location in relation to the Time Capsule.

But I'm wondering if it might not be better to switch the AEBS to 2.4GHz-only and put the TC on 5GHz only.

Well, you could configure the AEBS for 2.4 GHz only.....but you cannot configure the TC for 5 GHz only....as both bands are always being broadcasted on the Time Capsule simultaneously.

If the AEBS and Time Capsule are located close together, it might be best to turn off the wireless on the AEBS and simply let the Time Capsule handle both bands, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.

It is true that 2.4 GHz provides greater range, since that band is stronger than 5 GHz. If you plan to use both the AEBS and Time Capsule, it might make sense to locate the AEBS as the more "distant" wireless access point and let the Time Capsule serve as the "main" router handing the central area of wireless coverage.

If you want to take advantage of the faster speeds on 5 GHz, remember that 5 GHz works best when wireless devices are in close proximity to the Time Capsule or they have line-of-sight with the Time Capsule.

Older AEBS + Brand new Time Capsule: Which 802.11n bands to use?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.