Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with trashcan?

Hey,

I'm going to try and make this as simple as possible. I have a problem with my trashcan but it hasn't really been a problem a lot of the time. If I try and move items that are very large to the trashcan, they move somewhere, do not appear in the trashcan and asks me for my admin username & password to continue. This has only happened once before and I found a solution pretty quickly, but its different this time, that solution doesn't work. Now, I updated my final cut pro x from version 10 to version 10.0.6 but before I opened fcp 10.0.6 I copied the events, archives and projects to my desktop incase something went wrong. (Fcp has to update the projects in order to work with the new version but that means the old version can no longer open them, so I copied them to my desktop) Then everything was fine and I forgot about my last incident with the trashcan so I thought well I'm not wasting over 300gb of space on my computer when I no longer need it, so earlier today I thought I would move them to the trashcan by using the keyboard shortcut (cmd+backspace) and then it asked me for my username and password. (Remember that its on my desktop) I thought nothing of it, you would have thought that it would have triggered in my mind that this is what happened last time, but it didn't, so I just put the username and password in, and it made that moving to trash sound. I then went in there to empty the trash to find there were no files in there what so ever. I went back to where they previously were (desktop) and they had vanished, I tried undoing but it said that it had in the menu (it only had undo "the action that I did before moving the items to trash") so that didn't work, I tried doing what I did last time and trashing it from Terminal and then using the "killall Finder" & "Killall Dock" commands, but I had no luck. I then went on the internet to look for solutions and I found one that I hope will work. It was this command- "sudo rm -ri ~/.Trash"-because of the way final cut pro handles files, it places them into loads of different files for different frames and all that, and when I use this command it asks you on every file in the trash whether you would like to delete it or not, you put y for yes or n for no. this has taken most of my night and I dont think I'm even a 1/4 of the way there yet. So I NEED another way out and quick! You can see here that it is doing my head in!User uploaded file

Anyway, I need something that will completely get rid of the trash anyway I can, any suggestions I will LOVE! So yeah,

Cheers for any answers, here are my specs:

Processor 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)

Chris

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on May 3, 2013 1:49 PM

8 replies

Problem with trashcan?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.