Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I get my Macbook Pro to ignore a SPECIFIC IR remote?

Hi

There are a lot of similar questions on the forums, but I could not find any that solve my problem, so hoping one of the more seasoned MBP users can help out with this..

I have a 2012 MBP running Mountain Lion, with which I use a Logitech Harmony One to sometimes connect to my TV and watch avi/mkv files.

I have recently purchased an Apple TV, and paired the remote that came with it to the ATV.

The remote still controls the MBP and is quite annoying.

I would like it very much if the ATV remote would be ignored by the laptop without disabling the IR port.

I have tried pairing and unpairing with the laptop, switching off the laptop and pairing with the ATV, nothing seems to work though.

I'd appreciate any help on this very much

Regards

A

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 3, 2013 12:07 PM

1 reply

May 3, 2013 3:31 PM in response to aaradhya

Are you able to pair the Logitech with the Mac? Not sure if it's possible. Alternatively how about pairing the AppleTV Remote with the MBP and using thelogitech for AppleTV?

Pairing is handled by the device receiving the signal not the remote.

In essence the Apple remote sends some for of IR ID code along with the button press code - when pairing the AppleTV or Mac is set to ignore other IDs - the remote will control any unpaired device, but only the paired remote will control a paired device.

AC

Can I get my Macbook Pro to ignore a SPECIFIC IR remote?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.