Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microphone on keyboard and Siri can't hear me

Recently , I was trying to talk to Siri and use the voice-to-text microphone method on the keyboard; it isn't able to hear anything or what I'm saying. Please help me. I don't know what to do. Also, on the Snapchat app, when I take a video, it won't recognize my voice or any other sounds.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4, Still under warranty

Posted on May 3, 2013 4:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2013 4:23 PM

User troubleshooting begins with powering the phone off/on. The next step is a reset, hold the sleep/wake and home buttons together until you see the Apple logo and then release. Usually this is enough.

EDIT: If that is not enough, use this support document for help http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4079

Message was edited by: ChrisJ4203 - Add support link

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2013 4:23 PM in response to NicoleLipset

User troubleshooting begins with powering the phone off/on. The next step is a reset, hold the sleep/wake and home buttons together until you see the Apple logo and then release. Usually this is enough.

EDIT: If that is not enough, use this support document for help http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4079

Message was edited by: ChrisJ4203 - Add support link

May 6, 2013 10:34 AM in response to Geoff S.

Did you try anything in that support document that I provided? If your microphone is working for other things, including the phone, there is nothing wrong with the hardware. It sounds like it is software related. The first thing Apple is going to ask if you take it to the Genius Bar is if you did a reset, restore from backup and restore as a new device. If you haven't, they will do it there. Save yourself some time and hassle at Apple and do it before you go. You may just end up getting it to work.

Dec 16, 2013 8:55 PM in response to NicoleLipset

Have the exact same problem. Interestingly, if I use the apple headset (wired) Siri works fine. However, holding the home button produces just a "flat line" no matter how loud I speak. All other mic functions (Google speech, dictation, etc.) work fine. At first, I thought maybe it was connecting to a bluetooth headset and attempting to listen from that headset, but I disabled bluetooth to rule that out and still didn't work.

Microphone on keyboard and Siri can't hear me

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.