Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I recover my iPhone backup encrypted password?

I forgot and (apparently) didn't write down my password for encrypting my iPhone backups in iTunes (on a Windows 7 PC). Is there anyway to undo encryption or reset the password without erasing and resetting my iPhone to factory defaults? Thanks for you help (hopefully).

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on May 3, 2013 5:00 PM

5 replies

May 26, 2013 11:22 PM in response to Avocat57

If you encrypt an iPhone backup in iTunes and then forget your password, you will not be able to restore from backup and your data will be unrecoverable. If you forget the password, you can continue to back up and use the device, however you will not be able to restore the encrypted backup to any device without the password. You do not need to enter the password for your backup each time you back up or sync.

If you cannot remember the password and want to start again, you can use a SmartKey iTunes Backup Password Recovery to unlock iTunes backup password at first. Check out http://www.recoverlostpassword.com/products/itunes-backup-password-recovery.html for more details.

Can I recover my iPhone backup encrypted password?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.