Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to use "Themes Elements" in my Imovie. I have a Mac OS X, Version "10.6.8", memeory 4GB. I am in "Themes" and in the pop-up box at the top of the page it reads "NO THEMES FOUND". What do I do???? Pleeeeze Help!! s

Trying to use "Themes Elements" in my Imovie. I have a Mac OS X, version "10.6.8", memory 4GB. When I am in "Themes" and in the pop-up box at the top of the pge, it reads "NO THEMES FOUND". What do I do to continue???? Pleeze Help! Thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 3, 2013 8:24 PM

14 replies

May 4, 2013 9:17 PM in response to janiefrombc

iMovie 6 is about 7 years old, and I have not used it in 5 years. There are others here who still use it and may provide some help.

In the meantime, I did a search and found several posts on this issue dating back to 2006. The general advice back then was to delete imovie and reinstall. If you still have your iLife disks, this is probably the best option. Some people also recommended trashing the preferences files. It is not clear whether this helped, but it is not likely to hurt anything.

Here are some links to old posts.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/324332?answerId=1606118022#1606118022

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/365753?answerId=1747126022#1747126022

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1742545

May 4, 2013 9:40 PM in response to janiefrombc

janiefrombc wrote:

… just purchased this new computer and I guess I thought that everything would be upgraded to 2012 when I bought it for $2 grand!!! …

two options:

the computer is new, but some weirdo installed old software (actual MacOS is v10.8, actual iMovie is v11)

or, … the computer is not new. 😉

consider to call off the 'deal' …

May 7, 2013 6:52 AM in response to janiefrombc

Possibly you have both versions of iMovie on your iMac. Look in the Applications folder, as iMovie '11 (version 9.0.8) may be there along with iMovie HD 6 (version 6.0.3). If you are opening iMovie from the Dock, that may be pointing to the old version. If so, drag the icon out of the Dock - it will disappear in a puff of smoke. Now, if you have iMovie '11 in the Applications folder, drag it into the Dock. This will create a new Dock item which will point to the iMovie '11 app in the Applications folder. Note that you will still have iMovie HD 6 in the Applications folder (removing the Dock icon doesn't delete the actual app).

Perhaps someone at the Store was using the old version for demonstration purposes and forgot to delete it. But there is no harm in having both. Many people buy the old iLife '06 with iMovie HD 6 from places like eBay and Amazon, as they prefer to use that version. It's no longer available from Apple (nor supported by Apple).

John

Message was edited by: John Cogdell

May 10, 2013 1:37 AM in response to janiefrombc

Thank you for letting us know - and very pleased to hear that you do indeed have iMovie '11 on your iMac.

But, as AppleMan mentioned "a new Mac would never have 10.6.8 installed". That's known as Snow Leopard. There have been two major upgrades since Snow Leopard, being Lion (Mac OS X 10.7) and Mountain Lion (Mac OS X 10.8 - the latest update being 10.8.3).

I purchased my wife's iMac in October 2011 (that's 19 months ago). Whilst that same model was selling with Lion installed, the store did have one available in stock that hadn't been upgraded to Lion, still having Snow Leopard installed. My wife preferred to stay with Snow Leopard as she had a number of earlier apps (Power PC) that she wanted to continue using (they don't run under Lion and Mountain Lion).

I think you should still take this up with the Store to determine why you've been sold a new iMac with a quite old operating system (Snow Leopard), and why an extremely old (2006) version of iMovie was installed along with the latest version. It sounds like you may have been sold an ex demo model that has been reboxed. Possibly, the box was grabbed off the shelf inadvertently, but you need to get to the bottom of this.

On Snow Leopard, I think that iMovie '11 will run only up to version 9.0.4 (the latest is 9.0.8 which runs on Mac OS X 10.7.4 and later). Can you tell us what the version number of your copy of iMovie '11 is please? If you click on it in the Applications folder in Finder column view, you will see the version number listed in the next column. Otherwise, in iMovie click on iMovie then About iMovie.

Enjoy movie making with iMovie '11.

John

May 10, 2013 3:00 PM in response to John Cogdell

OMG...This is way over my head! Originally, I went under the "Apple" at the top of my screen and went to "About This Mac". It reads Mac OS X , Version 10.6.8.

I did what you said and went to "Imovie" and the Version is 9.0.4. Now what do I do? I just contacted the store and told the salesperson what you said and he totally agreed with you. He said something is weird so I have made an appt and will take my computer in next week. I really appreciate all the support from all of you and I will let you know what happened. By the way, love your country. I have been twice and we are heading to Brisbane next September. I am from Canada. Thanks and I will keep you posted!

May 11, 2013 12:40 AM in response to janiefrombc

Thanks Janie. Hopefully the Store will do the right thing by you (good advice from AppleMan). It will be interesting to hear their explanation as to why you were sold a model with out of date software.

Make sure that you are given a brand new model. Don't settle for just an upgrade to the software. Without a thorough check, who knows what has been loaded on your current machine, let alone what the machine's specifications are compared to what you should have received.

Brisbane in September should be great. It's the beginning of Spring then, so weather should be nice.

Look forward to hearing the rest of the story - hope it has a good outcome for you!

John

Trying to use "Themes Elements" in my Imovie. I have a Mac OS X, Version "10.6.8", memeory 4GB. I am in "Themes" and in the pop-up box at the top of the page it reads "NO THEMES FOUND". What do I do???? Pleeeeze Help!! s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.