Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

will creative suite and Quark 6.5 still run?

I bought my MacBook 2 years ago and migrated all my software. I'm a semi-retired graphic designer, so my apps include QuarkXpress 6.5 and Adobe Creative suite, an early version. The MacBook is running MacOs 10.6.8 and all the software, icluding Quark 6.5 runs fine, even though I'd heard that this older version of QXP woudn't work on the MacBook.

Incidentally, it was all migrated from a PowerPc processor Mac Mini, the first one on the market from back in 2003. It had been running 10.3.8 I think, but can't remember now.

The cost of updating QuarkXpress alone is now rather prohibitive for me, since my income is much less than it used to be. However, I have just bought an iPad Mini and find, annoyingly, that I can't sync my iCal or Contacts unless I upgrade the MacBook to 10.7. I am worried that if I do this my Quark 6.5 will then cease to work, or even worse, that my Adobe Creative suite will also malfunction. Since I have hundreds of archived files from the few clients that I still work for saved in QXP, this could be a huge problem if my fears are realised.

Anyone know if my worries are groundless, or whether they will prove real if I update the Os?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 3, 2013 7:25 PM

24 replies

May 4, 2013 2:16 PM in response to MlchaelLAX

It does not show CS2 running on Lion. It shows SL Server running in Parallels, running on Lion. It fails to mention the expenditure needed to get there (after the OP specifically mentioned financial issues). The OP has yet to identify the version of Creative Suite in use (although Quark 6.5 is not going to run regardless)

I will cheerfully admit that it will work, and may even be the cheapest solution, but the post is still misleading.

May 4, 2013 3:09 PM in response to Csound1

Let us review...

Csound1 said:

Just to affirm Kurts post, I use CS3 on ML, if yours is CS2 or less then it won't.

Once again, a statement that is 100 % correct in a vacuum, but 100% misleading to the OP.

The OP wants to know how to continue to run his PowerPC software after he upgrades his MacBook to Mountain Lion.

I gave the generally accepted workaround solution for his situation: partition your hard drive, install Mt. Lion in the one partition, with SL continuing in the other partition, dual-boot.

In case you did not notice, this thread has only one OP acknowledged "helpful" post; this last solution.

But, maybe because it was a slow day for you or otherwise, you opine that: "...if yours is CS2 or less then it won't [work in Mountain Lion]"

Your post adds NO new information in this thread and only gives the OP the impression that if he is perhaps considering the purchase of a new Mac THAT WILL ONLY RUN MOUNTAIN LION, he might as well throw his PowerPC applications in the waste basket!

Nothing could be farther from the truth, which is what I VISUALLY showed in response to YOUR incorrect post (which is why I put the word NOT in quotes)!

As for your rebuttal that: "It does not show CS2 running on Lion. It shows SL Server running in Parallels, running on Lion" it clearly tells the viewer to "click to enlarge" and they will CLEARLY see that CS2 is running in Snow Leopard Server running in Parallels!

Although I admit my subsequent post to Kurt obscures that fact with a smiley face to show Kurt it is a joke; which he clearly understood from his reply...

Financial issues are irrelevant, because my response was in reply to your incorrect post, not the OP!

But, again, it being a slow day for you or otherwise, you continue a long string of Ad Hominem attacks on me...

May 4, 2013 6:14 PM in response to John the Greek

John the Greek wrote:

I bought my MacBook 2 years ago and migrated all my software. I'm a semi-retired graphic designer, so my apps include QuarkXpress 6.5 and Adobe Creative suite, an early version. The MacBook is running MacOs 10.6.8 and all the software, icluding Quark 6.5 runs fine, even though I'd heard that this older version of QXP woudn't work on the MacBook.

Incidentally, it was all migrated from a PowerPc processor Mac Mini, the first one on the market from back in 2003. It had been running 10.3.8 I think, but can't remember now.

The cost of updating QuarkXpress alone is now rather prohibitive for me, since my income is much less than it used to be. However, I have just bought an iPad Mini and find, annoyingly, that I can't sync my iCal or Contacts unless I upgrade the MacBook to 10.7. I am worried that if I do this my Quark 6.5 will then cease to work, or even worse, that my Adobe Creative suite will also malfunction. Since I have hundreds of archived files from the few clients that I still work for saved in QXP, this could be a huge problem if my fears are realised.

Anyone know if my worries are groundless, or whether they will prove real if I update the Os?

You cannot install Quark 6.5 or Adobe CS2 on a computer running Lion or Mountain Lion, as they are PPC Based programs. You can attempt various hacks to get it to run, but it will never run cleanly or efficiently like running Quark 8 or 9 or CS3 to CS6. Quark itself is rarely used anymore and it is actually much cheaper to just use the included InDesign program within CS as most Graphic Designers do these days. But that is your choice.

Cheers

Pete

<Edited by Host>

will creative suite and Quark 6.5 still run?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.