Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't back up my vintage 30G iPod in iTunes. The "devices->back up" option is disabled.

My iPod is 7 years old. It's 30GB. It still works like a champ. But, I'd like to back up my library and move on to an iPod touch.

However, iTunes will not allow me to back up the device. What can I do?

User uploaded file

iPod classic, Other OS, Software version 1.3

Posted on May 3, 2013 7:52 PM

10 replies

Feb 1, 2017 9:01 PM in response to seriously, Apple

I too have this issue. Since the computer being used and the old iPod were never used together or to sync the iTunes library to that ipod, now when trying to do so from iTunes Library...

User uploaded file

I get the warning stating:

Are you sure you want to remove existing music, movies, and TV shows from this iPod and sync with this iTunes library? Music, movies, and TV shows synced to “ipod” from other iTunes libraries will be removed and items will be synced from this iTunes library.

User uploaded file

Therefore can't backup an old ipod with iTunes as the backup option isn't available:

User uploaded file

And can't sync as by hitting the Sync button on the music, movies, podcast, etc sections of the ipod won't start copying files from the iPod to the iTunes library

User uploaded file

All out of options I guess?

Thanks!

Feb 1, 2017 9:10 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

The problem with this approach assumes a sync from iTunes library to the iPod (by the way is a vintage 30GB not a touch). The problem is that nothing can be done to get the songs on the iPod sync'ed to the iTunes library. That's the case of where a new mac needs to be used with the old iPod. As far as I know it's not possible unless using some 3rd party program to get the music of the iPod and onto the mac. Do correct me if I am wrong, but that seems to be the case. That's extremely annoying and careless on Apple's part.

May 3, 2013 9:01 PM in response to seriously, Apple

That backup command is only for iOS devices, such as iPhone and iPod touch. iPods are already backed up, by definition if you use automatic syncing, because everything on the iPod is already in your iTunes library. I see from that image that you do NOT have the Manually manage music and videos setting checked, so you are all set. When you get an iPod touch, just sync the same songs (or any set of songs) to the iPod touch from your iTunes library. Everything on the old iPod should be there.

(If you use the Manually manage music setting, then it's possible there are songs on the iPod that are not in your iTunes library.)

May 4, 2013 9:35 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Thanks for the answer. Unfortunately, I had attempted to do as you instructed above, before I posted this original thread, which is why I am posting it; the new touch doesn't have anything on it after a synch. It is like there is nothing in my iTunes library. That's why I went down the path of trying to restore to the touch from a backup, since synching does absolutely nothing. 😟

If you have an answer to THAT, I would be super appreciative!

Alexx

May 4, 2013 12:32 PM in response to seriously, Apple

Well, I think my info is correct, and everything on your old iPod is already in your iTunes library. So, you don't have to do anything with your old iPod. You just asked the "wrong" question... 🙂

I think you need to set up automatic syncing for the iPod touch. "Syncing" doesn't do that much if nothing is set up to sync.

Select the iPod touch in iTunes. There is a row of "tabs" (starting with Summary). Click on Music there. This is the Music tab, where you tell iTunes how to sync the iPod with songs. Sync Music is checkmarked for automatic syncing of songs.

If your entire iTunes music library can fit on the iPod touch, you can choose to sync Entire music library. Then, everything in your iTunes music library is synced to the iPod touch. Your old iPod is probably set up this way. However, an iPod touch does a lot more, such as run apps and play videos nicely, so even if it fits, you may not want to sync your entire iTunes music library, to have space for those other things.

Therefore, you can choose to sync Selected playlists, artists, albums, and genres. Create your selection of songs below. For example, if you want to keep it simple, create a new regular playlist in iTunes and call it something like "iPod songs." Put ALL songs you want on the iPod on that playlist. Back on the Music tab, find and checkmark that new playlist under Playlists.

NOTE: You can set up automatic syncing for the other types of iTunes media, such as Podcasts, Movies, TV Shows, Books, etc., on the other tabs with those names.

When you click Apply, your selections on the Music tab (and other tabs) sync to the iPod, replacing its current content. Going forward, any library changes that are related to the settings on the Music tab (and other tabs) sync automatically when you connect the iPod, or when you click Sync. So, if there is a playlist with your "iPod songs," you can just update that playlist (add and remove songs) whenever you want, even when the iPod touch is not connected; iTunes automatically updates the iPod with the same changes at the next opportunity.

May 5, 2013 6:53 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

How about a vi "mistress"? Yeah I <3 hotkeys. That's why I hated when MS switched Office away from a lot of its traditional hotkeys (was this 2010?) because I worked almost completely with the hotkeys. The new Office got rid of some of the hotkeys I used frequently. I still use the ones that work.

Same goes for Eclipse. <3 Eclipse, as long as there's a hotkey for everything. 😀

I can't back up my vintage 30G iPod in iTunes. The "devices->back up" option is disabled.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.