Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Loading a .band file back into Garageband (iPad 2)

Hi all. I am a newbie. Forgive me if this question is ridiculous, and forgive me if it's been asked 1000 times. Basically, I'm trying to collaborate with some old school buddies through Garageband. I only have it on Ipad 2, they have it on their macs. I do not have a mac (terrible, I know). We're all working from a Dropbox account. I put a file of a guitar track into said Dropbox. They've already done work on the file and dropped it back into the box. Now, I'm able to get the new .band folder back into itunes through my pac, via ifunbox. However, when I pull up Garageband on the Ipad 2 and click the + sign and select itunes, it doesn't show up. If I select a song I have on my Garageband, I can see the folder through Apple Loops, but it isn't accessible. I can just see the title, and it's in grey, not in bold black. So, is it not possible to get this back onto the iPad 2 by pc through iTunes? Will it ever be? Better yet, if I had a mac, would this be doable? I realize this is worded terribly, but any help would be appreciated.

iPad 2

Posted on May 4, 2013 1:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2013 1:28 AM

To share a GarageBand project back from a PC see turingtest2's post:

HT4574 Re: Can I share my project file(.band in my iphone4) to my friend who using iPhone 4s.

This describes, how to add it back with iFunbox and iTunes. I see you have tried that already, but perhaps you missed a step?

On a mac you have two ways to share projects from an iPad to a mac and back: Sharre them to iCloud or share to iTunes.

But sharing between mac and iPad only will only work for GarageBand projects that have been created on the iPad initially. And when working on them on your mac, you must not make any changes, that are not supported on the iPad.

Regards

Léonie

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2013 1:28 AM in response to Brobocop

To share a GarageBand project back from a PC see turingtest2's post:

HT4574 Re: Can I share my project file(.band in my iphone4) to my friend who using iPhone 4s.

This describes, how to add it back with iFunbox and iTunes. I see you have tried that already, but perhaps you missed a step?

On a mac you have two ways to share projects from an iPad to a mac and back: Sharre them to iCloud or share to iTunes.

But sharing between mac and iPad only will only work for GarageBand projects that have been created on the iPad initially. And when working on them on your mac, you must not make any changes, that are not supported on the iPad.

Regards

Léonie

May 5, 2013 4:19 AM in response to Brobocop

Hi,

I've just tested this workaround again. It should work like this:

Export

1. Create a song in GarageBand on an iOS device.
  2. From the My Songs screen tap Edit, select the song to export, tap the sharing icon, Share Song Via iTunes as GarageBand format.
  3. Connect the device to iTunes, go to the Apps tab, File Sharing area, highlight the song folder and click Save As..., then chose a folder to save it in.

This folder can then be shared for others to work on.

Import

1. Connect device to iFunBox.
  2. Drag project folder into <Device>\App File Sharing\GarageBand.
  3. On the device go to the GarageBand > My Songs view, tap the + icon, then Copy From iTunes. The imported project should be there.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

If GarageBand for iOS doesn't see or want to import the edited project then my guess is that something about the external editing process has flagged it as being incompatible. There are workarounds for converting GarageBand for OSX files into an iOS compatible form, but not having a Mac I haven't tested any of them.

tt2

May 5, 2013 2:25 PM in response to turingtest2

Your last paragraph explains what I had to do. I had to go into the project data file and the metadata file and do some text editing to be able to put it back on to my ipad. Everything labeled "macos" in these files had to be renamed "ios", and files labeled "x86_64" had to be changed to "iPad1,1". If that sounds tedious, no worries, these texts are only in two spots of each data file. I learned to do this thanks to this Youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE48HnMu9q4

Thanks for the responses! 🙂 And hopefully this video/information can help someone else out along down the road.

-E

Loading a .band file back into Garageband (iPad 2)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.