Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flashing question mark Folder. Old macbook (white)

Hi,

I was using my laptop last week and it just cut out to a blank screen. Every time i have tried to use it since it comes up with a flashing question mark folder. I cannot access any options to try and fix the issue. ive had a look online and everybody else just simply puts the ios disk in and restores to factory settings. I cannot do this for some reason. i have tried a few different key combination like (Comand and R) to try and access some advanced options but with no scusess.

I thought it may be a harddrive problem and have since changed the harddrive, but still i have have the same problem.

If anybody could please help me that would be great. or maybe send me a link to a youtube video that you think may solve my problem.

Thanks,

Ryan

iMac, iOS 5.0.1, new mac for christmas

Posted on May 4, 2013 5:14 AM

4 replies

May 5, 2013 12:39 PM in response to ryans377

What version of the Mac operating system is installed on this MacBook? Do you have the system disks that came with the MacBook?

Computers such as MacBooks do not use iOS, which is an operating system for mobile devices such as iPhones, iPads and iPod touchs.

If you do not have the system disks, you can get them from Apple. Contact Apple using www.apple.com/support/contact if you are in a country that supports it or call the appropriate phone number on this page. There may be a small charge to cover costs.

Best of luck.

May 5, 2013 1:03 PM in response to ryans377

So if you cannot boot to the restore partition, one of two things is wrong - either the restore partition has become corrupted or the hard drive itself is physically damaged.

Mountain Lion does not come on a disk. Do you have perhaps a Snow Leopard (or earlier) install disk? If so, try booting to it by inserting it, shut down the MacBook, then restart and hold down the C key on your keyboard.

Once booted, go to Disk Utility and see if the MacBook's hard drive shows up there at all. If it does not, you have a dead hard drive.

May 5, 2013 2:27 PM in response to laundry bleach

Hi,

Yes it is a snow leopard disk, i have tried putting the disk in and shutting down and holding C during start up. every time it just comes up with the flashing folder. I thought it could of been the hard drive and have since changed it. But again i still have my problem.

What does the restore partition do? It may be that.

All i get from the computer is the flashing question mark folder. I cannot access any other options even with the disk in

Thanks,

Ryan

Flashing question mark Folder. Old macbook (white)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.