Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

launchctl list status 13

Can anyone tell me what status 13 means in launchctl list?

I have loaded and started a job, but it doesn't actually run the AppleScript its supposed to. The only info I can see is that it has status '13', but I can't find any info on what this status means.

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on May 4, 2013 5:19 AM

11 replies

May 4, 2013 6:57 AM in response to Mark Jalbert

Hmm...thanks, Mark.

Not sure how to work around that. It's a plist I created and placed in my ~/Library/LaunchAgents folder.

The address of the script its supposed to run is in a folder in my home directory. Maybe I need to move that script to somewhere in ~/Library folder? Though I can't see why that would make sense. I'm running it from within the user account in which I'm logged in.

May 4, 2013 8:05 AM in response to twtwtw

OK, looks like my mistake was thinking that a plist could invoke an AppleScript directly. Is that not the case, then?

I've got it working now by having the plist invoke a Bash script containing an osascript line to invoke the AppleScript!!

If I'd known I was going to have to go down that route, I'd have just written the original script in Bash and not bothered with AppleScript at all!

Oh well, at least its working now...😎

May 4, 2013 8:31 AM in response to twtwtw

Do you mean you can use osascript in the plist itself?

This is what I actually did, in the end:

Step 1: have launchctl load and run the plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Label</key>

<string>com.applehelpwriter.duplicate-bin</string>

<key>ProgramArguments</key>

<array>

<string>/Users/sphil/bin/duplicateBin</string> -- this is shell script file

</array>

<key>StartInterval</key>

<integer>86400</integer>

</dict>

</plist>

Step 2: run the file /Users/sphil/bin/duplicateBin

This contains one line: osascript ~/bin/AppleScripts/duplicateBin.scpt

Step 3: run duplicateBin.scpt

This is a standard AppleScript file with handlers and variables that does the work I actually want done.

Now, I could have cut step 3 and just written a Bash script to do the job that the AppleScript was doing, but since I didn't realise any of this till after I'd already spent time writing and testing the AppleScript, I guess I'll just keep it as it is.

However, if there's a way to get from the plist directly to the AppleScript that'd be worth doing. One less operation to invoke = one less thing to get broken!

May 4, 2013 8:39 AM in response to softwater

ProgramArguments can take any bash command, where bash space delimiters are represented by separate strings. so do this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Label</key>

<string>com.applehelpwriter.duplicate-bin</string>

<key>ProgramArguments</key>

<array>

<string>osascript</string>

<string>~/bin/AppleScripts/duplicateBin.scpt</string>

</array>

<key>StartInterval</key>

<integer>86400</integer>

</dict>

</plist>

One gotcha. launchd by default does not expand shell tokens, so you'll either need to spell out the full path to the script (the preferred method) or else set the EnableGlobbing key to true (only do this if for some reason you need a load-time path that needs to point to different files for different accounts).

If it's not a long applescript you could write it directly in the plist file as well, though that gets a bit cumbersome (you essentially copy the entire script in to string blocks, with -e in a string block before each code block).

launchctl list status 13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.