Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro X will suddenly log me out

This is not exactly a crash, but it amounts to the same thing. And, yes, I do lose work. It has occurred every once in a while since I first installed the software on this machine, but it has now happened twice within a 12-hour period. It can be most aggravating.

Anybody else get this, or have an idea what's going on?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 8 GB RAM, Radeon HD 5770

Posted on May 4, 2013 7:16 AM

10 replies

May 4, 2013 7:31 AM in response to Brie-Eating Surrender Monkey

Not sure that my crashes are exactly as you describe, but when FCP crashes on my SL set-up it closes all my open apps. But since my preferences are to bypass the log-in at start-up, our crashes sound similar. (BTW, the frequency of these crashes with has been unchanged over the past 5 versions.)

Anyway, I periodically clear out my FCP preferences withDiigital Rebellion's Preference Manager and that cures things…for a while anyways.

HTH.

Russ

May 4, 2013 7:49 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

It brings me back to the Finder and in the process closes any other open app. No error or crash messages displayed.

In a given week I'll have at least a couple and as many as a half dozen crash incidents. No pattern, except it's always when I'm performing some innocuous action on the project –like clicking the share icon, or opening/closing a project, opening background processes window, clicking in the text field of a title in the Inspector, and so forth. It's not specific to one project or a drive, so if I go to another project in another drive and open it, I get the same flaky behavior.

I've tried different fixes, but so far trashing preferences is the only cure…and that's a temporary cure.

It's acted this way since 10.0.3, so I imagine it's some weird thing in my system. However, no other apps – pro or otherwise – 32 or 64 bit – ever crash. And our 4 year old MBP is solid.

Russ

May 4, 2013 9:47 PM in response to Russ H

Hey, you hijacked my thread! ;-)

Actually, I get logged out, which results in a crash of everything in a way. As Russ said, I'll be doing something innocuous — a sizable percentage of the time it's when I've clicked the "Show Background Tasks" button — and the next thing I know, I see a blue screen, followed by the log-in fields. By that point, it has "taken down" everything I was working on, in every program I had active.

FCPX has done this every so often since installing it on this home machine 3 or 4 months ago. The home machine is an old MacPro with Snow Leopard OS.

I've been using FCPX for almost a year at work. There I'm using it on a 2011 iMac with Lion OS. There I get crashes similar to what Russ is talking about. If I'm really pushing it hard, there are days when it will crash twice in the same day. This general crashiness only started with the 10.0.6 update. I've been hoping against hope that Apple will fix this, but so far, zippo.

Yes, I do occasionally trash prefs using Preference Manager, and repairing Permissions. It may help — Who knows.

May 5, 2013 3:52 AM in response to Brie-Eating Surrender Monkey

Brie-Eating Surrender Monkey wrote:

Hey, you hijacked my thread! ;-)

Yeah; thought of that too and my apologies. (When I posted it was a literal response to your question: "anyone else get this?". And to tell you what worked for me in getting back up and running.)

I've come to accept that it's part of working on this machine – and since I've never lost a single edit, a relatively minor annoyance. I probably should try to track down the cause, but I'll shortly do a clean install for other reasons and I bet it goes away after I do.

Good luck in sorting yours.

Russ

Aug 26, 2013 8:41 PM in response to Jeff Tolbert

From what I can se on the web, this is a relatively common problem.

I love it when people say this. If you've seen 20 or even 100 reports that would mean it's a relatively small problem in ratio to the number of users. The number of people who report problems are a gazillion times higher than the number of people who don't report problems. That said, I think this problem is quite a bit higher in the older OSs that didn't do sandboxing as well. I have not seen seen this in a while and not in the last OS at all.

Final Cut Pro X will suddenly log me out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.