Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High Temps On rMBP (Early 2013)

Hello,

I have recently been concerned with the temperatures on my Macbook Pro Retina (Early 2013 15", 2.7Ghz i7, 16GB Ram, 500GB SSD). Temperatures at idle are averaging around 55 degrees Celsius. I am using iStat Menus and Temperature Gauge to determine the CPU temperature. Doing daily tasks like Safari, Mail, and iTunes gives me zero fan noise, but temperatures around 70 degrees celsius. Also while doing these tasks the CPU temperature will spike randomly to 95 degrees celsius and greater, sometimes to the 102-105 celsius range. Fan speed does not increase when these spikes occur. Temperature becomes a major issue when using programs such as Handbrake and other converters. While converting, temperatures stay around 97 degrees celsius. I know high temperatures are normal when doing such tasks, but I feel like this might be a little too high. When playing games such as Diablo 3, temperatures stay at a steady 98-105 degrees celsius. Those temperatures occur even when the fans are tuned to the highest using iStat Menus fan control feature. I have reset the SMC and had the same issues. I have not had any system crashes due to temperature, but these temperatures seem out of the norm with what most things I have read have said about rMBP temperature.

Are these temperatures too high and out of the norm? Should I bring the machine to an Apple Store? Am I just being paranoid? I could cook eggs and bacon on the aluminum when doing CPU intensive tasks with these temperatures.

Any and all help is appreciated!

P.S. The machine also has some pretty intense image retention. Using the image retention website (http://www.marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html), I can get retention within only 30 seconds of the test.

Zach

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), 2.7Ghz i7, 16GB, 500GB SSD, 15"

Posted on May 4, 2013 2:51 PM

11 replies

Jun 19, 2013 11:48 PM in response to ZEvans

I got exactly the MacBook pro Retina couple of days go (Early 2013 15", 2.4Ghz i7, 8GB Ram, 256GB) with exactly the same problem...

impossible to keep it in my lap, and the only thing i did was to view 1080p Panasonic video as to check the quality of the retina display.

I am extremely frustrated, disappointed and it feels that I burned my money on the MBP, a total waste of money.

Going through the discussions in this site it is obvious that the problem has been known for a long time and seems that Apple does nothing to fix it (or is,indeed, extremely slow).

What is the point of having a "laptop type" Mac, which is a potential health hazard if it is placed on one's lap?

Jun 20, 2013 12:23 AM in response to DimitriP

http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/care/

See... "

Using Your MacBook Pro

When you’re using your MacBook Pro or charging the battery, it's normal for the bottom of the case to get warm. For prolonged use, place your MacBook Pro on a flat, stable surface. Do not place your MacBook Pro on your lap or other body surface for extended periods of time. Prolonged body contact can cause discomfort and potentially a burn. The bottom of the MacBook Pro case functions as a cooling surface that transfers heat from inside the computer to the cooler air outside. The bottom of the case is raised slightly to allow airflow, which keeps the unit within normal operating temperatures. In addition, warm air is vented from the slots in the back of the case. "

Clinton

High Temps On rMBP (Early 2013)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.