Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TimeMachine corrupted volume

I've got a volume on an external drive (Drobo connected via FireWire) that is corrupted, and I'm starting to suspect that TimeMachine did it.

I don't have a lot to go on here, except that people on the Drobo forums mention that this has happened to them when they are running with Drobo connected via Firewire. When they run with the drive connected via USB, they don't have the same problem.

I specifically switched to a newer Drobo unit with Firewire, because the backups were causing a LOT of disk transfer traffic on the machine and slowing EVERYTHING down. Now that it is using Firewire, it has been great.

So, again, the question – anybody have experiences with TimeMachine corrupting a whole external volume?

MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, Mac mini, iPhone 4, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on May 4, 2013 2:44 PM

11 replies

May 4, 2013 5:40 PM in response to Eric Root

Eric Root wrote:

For some reason, there seems to be problems using Firewire, not only with Drobo drives, but with other drives as well.

Really? What's that based on?

I use a Firewire drive for Time Machine, CarbonCopyCloner, and other things, without issue. And I've not seen any reports of a general problem with Firewire.

May 5, 2013 10:50 AM in response to Eric Root

Eric Root wrote:

. . .

I'm not claiming Firewire is bad,

Your post sure reads that way to me.

but there are people who are having problems with it. Cable?

There will always be a few folks having trouble with something; I just haven't seen any general problem with Firewire.

But yes, any time there's drive trouble, it's possible there's a bad cable or connector, or the Firewire chipset in the drive enclosure, or the drive itself. If a particular multi-interface drive consistently works fine on one interface but not another, then the drive itself is probably ok.

Jun 13, 2013 10:35 AM in response to Tor Lundgren

Hi

Closing down your mac while Time Machine is Backing up will corrupt the drive everytime. If this is still happening If it is corrupted when you next start up it could be that time machine was running when you closed down. This is what was happening to me. The problem is it is diffucult to remember to check that its running when you close down I always forget to check. Also usb does not work with time machine that well if at all.

Jun 13, 2013 10:42 AM in response to Samuel Dyer

Samuel Dyer wrote:

Hi

Closing down your mac while Time Machine is Backing up will corrupt the drive everytime.

Not necessarily. If you mean putting it to sleep or doing a controlled Shut Down, no, that will "close out" the session on the disk properly. That will just cancel the backup, and TM will fix it automatically the next time.

If you mean a forced power off, power failure, or disconnecting a drive without ejecting, then yes, it's quite possible to corrupt the data.

Jun 13, 2013 12:23 PM in response to Pondini

I don't do a forced shutdown, just a normal. I don't let it run for 60 seconds, but shutdown fron the menu topleft. If timemachine is not running everything is fine. If I shutdown in that same way while time machine is running my drive is corrupted. I am not sure about this but I have a vague memory of time machine finishing it's back-up before allowing the machine to shut down. That's my external drive used for TM back-up

Jun 13, 2013 12:41 PM in response to Pondini

For some reason, it could be Seagate drives, this doesn't happen with me. It was only when I stopped shutting down with TM running did my problems stop. I think there has been problems with seagate drives on this issue especially with USB, the sent me a Firewire 800 to try to cure the problem, but it still persisted, but I have also come accross WD drives also suffering in the same way but not so widespread as the seagate.

I have also recently added Seagates download to stop the Seagate going to sleep whether that worked or not I don't know.

But now the only thing that works is the closing down method.

I would be interested to know if it has worked for anyone elso out there. Also removing the 'com.apple.TimeMachine.plist' before I started from scratch helped.

TimeMachine corrupted volume

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.