Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dual Display Issues, Mini Display Cable, Firewire, USB, Nothing Works

I am working on a project for my supervisor, the specifics of each machine are listed below to the best of my ability:

Machine 1:

iMac9,1 Intel Core 2 Duo

Version: 10.6.8

Build: 10K549

Machine 2:

iMac10,1 Intel Core 2 Duo

Version: 10.6.8

Build:10K549

I have a iLuv Mini DisplayPort Cable, a 9-Pin to 9-Pin Firewire Cable, a M/M USB Cable and an ethernet cable. What I have been trying to do is link these two computers together so that each can be used as a seperate processor but their screens can be shared. Before anyone tells me this is impossible, these two monitors have in the past been connected together so there was the ability to dual use the computer monitors. I do not remember if I actually had the processing power of both available. When I plug the minidisplay port cable from one computer to the other the screen on Machine 2 will blink black to blue and then go back to an independent screen. The displays tab on neither computer shows two displays and none of the command f2 or f3 prompts are causing either computer to respond. I have tried connecting them with firewire and USB and can only get disk transfer mode from the Firewire. I know these computers used to be able to support being connected to one another and now I have no idea what is going on. I don't personally remember having a minidisplay port cable in the beginning so its possible I am going about this all wrong. I have called Apple Support many times and they suggested an OSX reinstall. I found the reinstallation software for 10.6.3 for a macbook 13 inch and each computer recognized the disc but said that the operating system could not be installed. At this point I have done everything I can think of including running a hardware test through the diagnostic tool at startup and on both computers the test came up with no error codes. Please please help me get these computers working again for my boss!

-Alan

Posted on May 4, 2013 4:20 PM

1 reply

May 4, 2013 5:25 PM in response to smokeywolf840

Both the 9,1 (Early 2009) and 10,1 (Late 2009) iMac's only support Target Disk Mode using FireWire.

see > Target Disk Mode vs. FireWire networking | Macworld

or > Apple Tips Using Target Disk Mode

Adding that if the Late 2009 is a 27" then it supports Mini DisplayPort input for use as a monitor from another Mini DisplayPort Mac.

see > iMac: How to use your iMac as a Target Display Mode display

An Ethernet cable can be used for Networking and File Sharing the two iMac's.

see > Mac Basics: File Sharing

Plus connecting two iMac's together with a USB cable, will do nothing except trip the USB port overloads or something worse.

Dual Display Issues, Mini Display Cable, Firewire, USB, Nothing Works

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.