10 Replies Latest reply: May 8, 2013 9:25 AM by Karsten Schlüter
jyancey Level 1 (0 points)

I am making a gaming video, so I kept the audio from the game and added live commentary that I did with my friend. I want to delete a section of the video and audio, but when I select the video, the audio from the commentary stays and instead it cuts off the ending audio. How do I fix this?

iMovie '11
  • AppleMan1958 Level 7 (27,415 points)

This is one of the differences between iMovie and Final Cut Pro X. In FCPX you can have video and audio on separate tracks and edit out both tracks at once. In iMovie, this is not possible. If Final Cut Pro is overkill for your needs, there is a workaround. You can export your Project, using SHARE/EXPORT USING QUICKTIME. Choose Movie to QuickTime Movie, and under Options, choose Apple Intermediate Codec for the Video Codec. Save it where you can find it. Now, import this shared movie back into your Event using FILE/IMPORT MOVIE. Now the audio and video are together and you can edit them.

• Karsten Schlüter Level 7 (32,207 points)

there's a simpler method, without leaving iMovie

(@AppleMan: I can still teach you tricks ) :

set your playhead where you want to split video+audio clip

click into the video (make it yellow bordered)

hit cmd-shift-S (Split)

tricky part: don't move the position of playhead, just select the green audio-bar underneath

hit cmd-shift-S again

repeat steps for OUT

=> the unwanted part is 'isolated', select clip, backspace, poof! erased, repeat for audio track

---------

in FCPX: hit R (for range tool), select, erased, done ....

(I know, why I left iMovie 2y ago ..... )

Hi Karsten, Thanks for the trick. It works for me. The only difficult part is keeping the playhead still. I am spoiled by having a separate playhead and skimmer for FCPX. I played with setting a comment marker at the point of the cut so I could go back to the marker if the playhead moved by mistake. I could not get it to snap to the marker, but it was better than nothing.

Late breaking news: I found that if I select the video clip and position the playhead - then command shift s. THEN hold down the control key and select the audio track - the playhead stays put!

If you get a minute, that would be a great item to put in a User Tip. This comes up a lot, and I have been giving bad advice all this time! If you don't have time, let me know and I can write it up.

AppleMan1958 wrote:

…  would be a great item to put in a User Tip. …

you mean, some Red Arrow pictures...?

not today (soccer league), but the next days, probably ...

you have a short descriptive title?

("How to cut-out in detached audio+video" ???? )

I would suggest "How Can I delete portions of a Video and a separate audio track together in iMovie?"

• geoffbassist Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks for the great tips Karsten and appleman. They really help. The only problem I have is then trying to sync the new audio after adding a transition. Any tips? I think im going to try the export and re-import, but would love to hear any suggestions as this seems long winded.

Thanks Geoff

• geoffbassist Level 1 (0 points)

Hi Appleman1958,

thanks for the advice about exporting setting.

'Choose Movie to QuickTime Movie, and under Options, choose Apple Intermediate Codec for the Video Codec'

I was with you until choose apple intermediate codec which i couldnt find that option in imovie 11. Any suggestions?

thanks again for your help,

Geoff 

AppleMan1958 wrote:

I would suggest "How Can I delete portions of a Video and a separate audio track together in iMovie?"

done!

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-5241

… sorry for my weird humor ...!

Sorry for not laughing. I read it and laughed when I was on the road, and then I had to remember to come back and answer two days after I laughed!

AppleMan1958 wrote:

Sorry for …

sorry me, to not mention your 'trick'!

thanks for improving the tipp!

… this way I learned, 'anybody' can edit UserTipps!

didn't know that ......