Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unregistering iTunes Automation Server uninstall error, followed shortly by BSOD

I run windows 7 64bit

Recently (past couple months), my iTunes has no longer loaded. When I double-click the system tray icon, it highlights, then the highlight fades, and the system freezes. A BSOD follows. When I try in uninstall iTunes, I get hung up on "ungregistering iTunes automation server." After hanging there for a few seconds, the system locks up and blue-screens again.

To see what was going on, I booted in safe mode, and tried to uninstall iTunes there (there is a simple fix to make Windows Installer work in safe mode). When I try to uninstall iTunes, I still get hung up on "unregistering iTunes automation server." However, after hanging for a few seconds, an error pops up saying iTunes is missing files and needs to be reinstalled (instead of blue-screen). If I click ok, the installer then seems to run for a little bit more before returning an installer package error 2324, and then rolling back the uninstall progress (resetting me to zero).

I have already tried the quicktime downgrade fix (7.2) and had no success. I have also just tried installing quicktime (7.3) indepedently of iTunes, and still get the same problem. I cannot do the 6-step uninstall process that I've have found hunting around these forums because I'm supposed to uninstall iTunes first in their process...and I can't do that.

On a tangential note (and I think the problems are related), Spotify also blue-screens my computer, but the software at least opens and lets me see my library (and I uploaded my iTunes library onto Spotify) for a little bit.

Posted on May 4, 2013 8:45 PM

There are no replies.

Unregistering iTunes Automation Server uninstall error, followed shortly by BSOD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.